Sign in to follow this  
Romey

difference in crispness in stamping impressions

I was over to my friends saddle shop. Another longtime cowhand and a really great saddle maker. We were talking about stamps and how blah i thought some new stamps i got of craft tools were stamping. He pulled out some barry king and some Jeremiah Watts stamps and a old USA made crafttool, wow what a differance in crispness compared to the newer crafttool stamps. I was highly impressed. Anyone else find fault with the newer crafttools made over seas? I got a Watt braid stamp and a King Scroll type stamp from him that he doesnt use for $45 total :spoton: I have decided Id rather have a few GOOD stamps then alot of not so good stamps and im getting free private lessons from him soooooo guess whose in the market for a tree :thumbsup:

I don't think the new ones are that great either (the crafttools that is)...but for those of us teaching kids and footing much of the bills, they're the best alternative.

Romey,

I can't make the blanket statement that all Craftool stamps are not up to snuff. A couple things, the plating is pretty variable. When I buy one new, I eyeball or try every stamp in the section. If you are telephone ordering, tell them what you want and expect. Somebody has to get the good one, it might as well be you. Some will have less plating and crisper impressions.

Also I buy a Craftool to see if I will use it enough to justify the same stamp in a higher quality. Some of the borders look good on someone else's work, but they end up and don't do much for me (ie the "meander" tools) visually once I get them and use them. When I get a stamp, don't use or like it enough and resell it for half, the Craftool is only a $2 loss. I am not really willing to take a $45 hit on half the price of someone's $90 stamp.

For the better quality tools a few more names to consider besides Barry King and Jeremiah Watt - Bob Beard, Ellis Barnes, and Wayne Jueschke. I particularly like Wayne's block stamps. There are other guys who make some stamps, but these 5 are probably among the best of the guys making them right now. I have some favorites among these. I think there are particular stamp types where each of these guys really shine.

Bruce Johnson

I was for awhile thinking Id like a real vast assortment of stamps and tools, for me though especcialy after seeing the differance in the custom verses store bought im taking a less is better additude of having a few real good stamps that I will use alot then alot of possibly lesser tools that ill only use once in awhile. Im mostly talking border and basket stamping in general as this would take up 90% of what Id ever do on a sheath. One of the guys who is at my disposal for leather info is addiment that custom tools arent nessicary and still to a certain degree I agree but he also makes 99.9% of every tool and stamp he uses soooo in really his are custom made as well. At anyrate my point was i was amazed at the differance of the stamp, it was like going from tandy leather to wickett and craig leather. Very noticable differance. Is the same differance with comparing things such as edgers as well? Because I am even less happy with crafttools edgers.

At any rate others mileage my differ

Holly, trust me im all for inexspensive and with doing blacksmithing Im first one to make a tool rather then buy it, infact i have made some pretty neat sort of backgrounders by slitting up the ends of wooden dowel. Made my own groover ect.

Thing with these stamps were I thought alot of it was me, that I wasnt casing right or the leather I was buying wasnt right or some lack of knowledge on my part. My biggest lack of knowledge was not knowing what to look for when buying stamps much less the differance it makes. After seeing these Im pretty confident I can take some of my cheaper stamps and rework them via files and dremel to be better then they are. I have made many stamps, altho they were hot and cold stamps for metal, a tiny bear foot stamp, Viener for leaves and such ect, no reason I couldnt make em for leather too.

Is the same differance with comparing things such as edgers as well? Because I am even less happy with crafttools edgers.

At any rate others mileage my differ

I think the answer to that is Yes. I tried an edger from Ron's Tools one day when I had stopped in the local saddle shop and couldn't believe how they worked. Came home and ordered a couple. When I got the ones from Ron's tools, they came with a rod to use to sharpen them but no instructions. Someone told me to put a piece of emery cloth or wet dry sandpaper over the rod, and run the edger over that to sharpen them. I tried that on the Craftool edgers I had planned on throwing away and I was amazed at the difference in them. They actually worked pretty decent when they were sharp. Mine were probably from the late 70's so maybe they are different than what is made today. If you cant sharpen yours, then I would definately recomend getting some better ones. There are several people that make them and I have heard good things about most of them. You might want to do some shopping around to find the best deal. Do a search here on the forum for edgers and you will find another thread that discussed them pretty well.

When ever something cuts, i automatically assume it needs sharpened out of the box, which those tandy tools did and for most part if one is handy a person can rework any tool to suits ones needs in which case tandy edger for instance probably is fine for the money depending on how much one of a better quality costs,of which i havent been around. One issue with making ones own tools I often run across no matter what the tool is ones time making that tool in materials and labor cheaper then buying something of good quality thats ready to go to work. Sometimes it is, sometimes not. I guess im at the point with my leather that i have use for a certian higher quality of tool depending on what it is. One note was i did see some 150$ custom stamps that were no better then the lower priced King and Watt stamps. One important thing was i got both these custom stamps half price, if i handnt, i most likly wouldnt have nothing but crafttool or what have you. Altho i think im going to not but new crafttools and try to get only the older US made ones from now on.