spenzher

Singer 111W155: Stuck Presser-Lifting Eccentric Set Screw, Suggestions?

Hi everyone, I've used this site and its numerous postings about the 111w155 machine to help fixing up my own machine, and right now I'm in a bit of a rut so I figured I'd see what the community has to say. I've been adjusting everything, and I noticed that I have a seized set screw, specifically the set screw on the presser lifting eccentric that is located on the arm shaft. I have soaked it in wd-40, pb blaster, acetone, and used a lot of muscle to try and get it out but its just not budging. I'm on the verge of trying to use an easyout but I'm nervous about the chips in the machine it would produce. I was thinking of using a makeshift vaccum for the chips to fly in if it had to come to that. I am not afraid of taking the machine apart (although it would be my first time), however I think I have to get this screw out/free before I even could do that. I'm looking for any suggestions or comments, I'm not sure how to proceed other than use an easy out, which could get really messy. I added a picture to visualize it's location.

Thanks,

Spence

post-66043-0-68429400-1445486162_thumb.jpost-66043-0-30588600-1445486169_thumb.j

Try a combination of a precision torch to heat the screw and an impact screw driver to loosen and remove it.

Try a combination of a precision torch to heat the screw and an impact screw driver to loosen and remove it.

Okay, I have the tools for that. I've thought about using an impact driver, do you think it would bend the arm shaft...?

IDK. Try the heat first. If you can free the screw it might come out with a regular screw driver. At least tap on it when you heat it up. This may improve the depth of the worn slot.

IDK. Try the heat first. If you can free the screw it might come out with a regular screw driver. At least tap on it when you heat it up. This may improve the depth of the worn slot.

Okay, I'm going to go try. thanks for the suggestion, I'll post back with results.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I have a small gas torch (happens to be a Dremel, but there are plenty of others out there) that gives a pencil thin flame. That will let you get it exactly where you want it, without flame splashing around everywhere. As Wiz said, heat it up, tap it a bit, let it cool and see if you can wriggle the screw back and forth (just work it slowly). If you have any of that "cold in a can" freezing spray you could try heating it and then zapping it with the cold straight away, sometimes that can help break the seal.

A bit rough, but you could also try holding the screwdriver in place, twisting and tapping that with a hammer. While not as effective as an impact driver, it may help to start it moving (might not do the screwdriver much good, though).

Okay so, I got some movement. I've never encountered a screw that is this stuck. I tried to use oxy acetalyne, small torch to heat it but the flame was too big. Got an idea of localizing the heat using my tig welder since I didn't have something smaller. It worked to heat it, not that well, but I used an impact driver and it finally budged. I got a turn with the screw driver and then it froze up again. I'm thinking this may not be the same screw that was in there from the factory. Anyways, it's been moving with every hit from the impact driver. It's making me a little nervous too, but the shaft seems to turn the same still. As of right now, the screw is flush with the eccentric which is some improvement. Still very very tight, unable to use pressure and a screwdriver. I'm going to call it a night for now, but I'll be working on it all tomorrow and hopefully be able to say I got it out. Thank you all for the suggestions, seems there might be hope !

To my recollection, that is not the adjustment lock. Turn your shaft over and there should be another screw on the other side that is your lock screw. Loosen that screw a turn or so and adjust with the large screw in your picture. That small screw you are trying to remove just holds the assembly to the shaft.

To my recollection, that is not the adjustment lock. Turn your shaft over and there should be another screw on the other side that is your lock screw. Loosen that screw a turn or so and adjust with the large screw in your picture. That small screw you are trying to remove just holds the assembly to the shaft.

Correct. It doesn't adjust the eccentric parameters, but I thought it had some correlation to the depth the foot reaches, like where the presser foot meets the feed dogs. Anywho,

I got it free! I had to heat it a few times, and I used my impact the whole way out. It would loosed for a half turn, then get tight, then loosen, until it backed out all the way. The threads look fine, but I have yet to search for a new eccentric screw. Anyone have one lying around? I kid, but any info on where to find one may help me :rolleyes2:

A trick from the gunsmithing world is to use a penetrant called Kroil. I see you got it out but I am adding this for future searches. Put the Kroil on and then wait overnight. It will be much freer the next day. You can get Kroil from Midway USA and McMaster-Carr.

Thanks for posting. I hope to make some tutorials about fixing these machines up, as I continue to work on my own. I know this site has been an immense help in figuring out how it all works.