I am fairly new to leather working. My father did it for many years and I would occasionally join him when I was a kid. After he passed 5 years ago, I inherited all his leather working materials and in the last six months have started making a few things. This is my latest item to make it a bit easier to hold my work while stitching. I have made three sheaths and a cabinet to hold my leather working tools. I am looking forward to learning a lot and focusing on learning correct tooling! I have also started work on a sheath and tooled for the first time! Looks pretty ugly, but it's a start! Thanks for looking and would appreciate constructive criticism!

post-66154-0-66404800-1443924310_thumb.j

post-66154-0-44617900-1443924384_thumb.j

post-66154-0-99166900-1443924613_thumb.j

post-66154-0-70459000-1443924631_thumb.j

post-66154-0-30182400-1443925003_thumb.j

Edited by Peyoman

Welcome to the forum and to a trade/hobby that's just as varied as the people practicing it. As you said you're off to a good start and I don't want to start writing down everything I observed on your sheath and leave that to someone else.

You're right about the basketweave tooling and I believe one of the best explanations on how to make it right is a video by Tandy Leather and George Hurst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQcH2A6wxgc. This video should tell you all you need to know about the basic basketweave stamping.

Good luck!

Looks like you have a lot of nice tools.

I like the looks of your knife sheath, but if the knife rides on those rivets it will dull the blade. Instead of rivets I put a welt on the edge of the sheath where it is sewn.

The best way I have found to do basket weave is to lightly scribe a line in the direction you want the basket weave to go and stamp your first two rows on that line. After doing that it is easy to keep your BW straight. I think the above mentioned video shows all that.

Keep up the good work, your doing good for just starting.

Thanks for the feedback! I do have a welt in the sheath, but it should have been a bit bigger as one of the rivets does hit the blade slightly. This was only my second sheath, so def have learned to leave a bit more room! Thanks again!