Sign in to follow this  
dilligent neophyte

Custom Patters For Holsters

-hello all thanks for any advise offered it is asways helpful

--lately I started makeing holsters and have really enjoyed it . Usually I can get the gun so I lay it out and draw a pattern. Do whatever for texture or carving and then sew it up etc. So far it has been OK until I got into a couple revolvers.

the Question : Is there a rule of thumb to use to accommodate the varrying cylinder bulge when putting a pattern together?

I usually use 8-9oz back and front and I am parcticiing on OWB pancake style. last one was a .357 & I used 7oz on front so i think i gotr some forgiving strech and it streched enough to work. recently I tried to use the same method for a S&W .500 -- laying it down and tracing around the gun, then added 1/4" to the overall tracing outline, then draw the pattern for loops and blending it all togrether--- BUT... using 9-10oz --- when that gun met the leather ----NO WAY!!! totally POOched it.

the gun was almost 2" thick i i know now I did not accommodate that --- so I'm looking for advise on how to correct or accommodate that third dimention in a specific area of the holster when workng with revolvers

Anyway thanks for any advise

DN

-hello all thanks for any advise offered it is asways helpful

--lately I started makeing holsters and have really enjoyed it . Usually I can get the gun so I lay it out and draw a pattern. Do whatever for texture or carving and then sew it up etc. So far it has been OK until I got into a couple revolvers.

the Question : Is there a rule of thumb to use to accommodate the varrying cylinder bulge when putting a pattern together?

I usually use 8-9oz back and front and I am parcticiing on OWB pancake style. last one was a .357 & I used 7oz on front so i think i gotr some forgiving strech and it streched enough to work. recently I tried to use the same method for a S&W .500 -- laying it down and tracing around the gun, then added 1/4" to the overall tracing outline, then draw the pattern for loops and blending it all togrether--- BUT... using 9-10oz --- when that gun met the leather ----NO WAY!!! totally POOched it.

the gun was almost 2" thick i i know now I did not accommodate that --- so I'm looking for advise on how to correct or accommodate that third dimention in a specific area of the holster when workng with revolvers

Anyway thanks for any advise

DN

When I trace a a firearm I 'roll' it while tracing. Lets see if I can explain this... You set it on the sights, handgrip up and mark where the back end of the frame is and then roll the pistol to the left and mark the bottom of the frame. By rolling it, you will see that it takes into account the thickness of the pistol and then it is repeated on the other side. Tandy has a few videos on the Leathercrafter Library that actually show the technique, but this way I can make a holster and know that there will be plenty of room for the pistol in the holster.

I think PARTICLE has the best explanation of patterns around. Do a search.

Kevin

I think PARTICLE has the best explanation of patterns around. Do a search.

Kevin

thanks for the tip - I will be re-making the holster and will try it - - the "roll" will definitelly add to the overall outline

onward and forward!

When I trace a a firearm I 'roll' it while tracing. Lets see if I can explain this... You set it on the sights, handgrip up and mark where the back end of the frame is and then roll the pistol to the left and mark the bottom of the frame. By rolling it, you will see that it takes into account the thickness of the pistol and then it is repeated on the other side. Tandy has a few videos on the Leathercrafter Library that actually show the technique, but this way I can make a holster and know that there will be plenty of room for the pistol in the holster.