outcast

Ironworkers' seat

I just finished this for an Ironworker in PA. He wanted crossed spud wrenches, a skull, and all black. I made the seat pan, foamed it, and of course the did leather work. I was an Ironworker, as was my father, and my uncle, so this was an exciting project for me. Ironworkerseat005.jpg

Ironworkerseat009.jpg

Ironworkerseat010.jpg

Edited by outcast

This looks good. Tooling is clean and I especially like the lacing. I envy those of you who lace like this.

I have no problem at all with black on motorcycle stuff. They're for riding. Not for show off at the local hooters parking lot. I know that natural would show off the tooling more, but I'm not that vain, and most bikers could not give a rats ass about it. It's going on an old Ironhead. I've had one for the last 20 years. They're chain driven, and no matter how much you keep up on the maintenence, and engine overhaul they will spread a little oil around. Black just seems to be the color that suits old iron best. Unless of course everywhere you go with it the thing is on a trailer. Just my thoughts on the natural thing.

That lace looks pretty meaty. Did you make it yourself?

This looks good. Tooling is clean and I especially like the lacing. I envy those of you who lace like this.
Thanx, Spider. The lacing really isn't hard at all. It's the Mexican round braid. Once you do it a couple of times it's a piece of cake.
That lace looks pretty meaty. Did you make it yourself?
No, I didn't make it myself. It's 1/4" kangaroo lace from David Morgan. I'm lookin for another source tho, a little less expensive.

I like the way you crossed the wrenches and made them look like fangs on the skull. It looks great, and I like the attention to detail on the back. Beautiful lacing too. Bravo!

Johanna

Great looking seat, brings back memories of my first job way back in the day. I also was an ironworker for a year.

Nice lacing as well, very well done.

Ken

Nice work, just love that fat braid around.

This seat is well suited in black with that clean uncompromising motif.

The finish is to die (dye) for, very crisp!

Tom

Very clear carving

and the braiding is very good to

is somewhere a kind of instruction for that way of braiding??

greetings from bavaria

mfm

Very clear carving

and the braiding is very good to

is somewhere a kind of instruction for that way of braiding??

greetings from bavaria

mfm

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Tandy Leather Factory sells at least 2 books that cover the "Mexican basket weave" or "round braid". One is titled "Lacing & Stitching for Leathecraft", and the other is called "How to Lace". I think both of them were under $10.00.

Great job man!!! Nice and clean I like It.