Lividya

How To Make This Sort On Inlay Color?

I'm trying to make this armor.

post-37967-0-41057400-1358606812_thumb.j

I can see that all cuts are inlaid in gray.

I tried, with a piece of scrap leather to dye it gray first, then used block out on the cuts, then I died it black. but all the cuts ended up black in the end...

I then tried to fill all the cuts with cova color instead...but my lines are sooo reggedy, it really doesn't come off the way I want

Any ideas on how I can acieve this? maybe i'm doing the right thing but i'm forgetting something along the way

Thanks

I can't make out what the picture looks like but if you're trying to have a black piece with cuts in it that are green I would first dye your cuts green then use a wood block wrapped with a tee shirt to dye the black. That should keep the dye from going in the cut as long as its not dripping wet.

Resist usually only works for antique type finishes, spirit dyes usually penetrate through just about anything. I don't know if it would resist water based dyes though as I've never tried.

Why not ask him?

Here's the link to his DeviantArt page: http://sharpener.deviantart.com/

Silver spray paint? I haven't though of that. I'll try it.

Thanks all!

Silver spray paint? I haven't though of that. I'll try it.

Thanks all!

I would dye it black, let dry. Then spray a thin coat of silver and imediatly wipe it with a rag that has thinner on it. Ring the rag well so that it just messes with the paint and not totally wipes it off. Sort of like doing a heavy antique. You want about half coverage, thinner and thicker in spots. Practice on something you do not care about.

Hi there

Hope I am not sounding too snarky here but the artist who made that armor specifically asked people not to copy it but to design your own.

By all means be inspired by him he is an amazing talent but put your own design ideas in there and make it your own.

By the way my husband has sent me the same photo as a hint but I won't copy. I am trying to learn how to construct armor so that I can design my own thing.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Cheers, Toolingaround :-)

Well...in other post, I have mentionned that I was not making an exact copy of this armor. Also, his armor is almost an exact copy of an armor from a Video Game. So he really does not own the design. :-)

I NEVER make axact copy of anything, but I liked the tint he used and the way the color gets out. I believe that the artist mentioned he did not want people to copy his armor, not his tooling and his colors. The reste of my armor may have some lines looking like it, but that's about it

Hi Lividya

Ya the silver inlay is a beautiful effect. I like it too. Good luck with your project.

Cheers, Toolingaround