15mules

Cable Rigged Trees ?

I hope this is the right place to post this. I have been working with leather for a while and have had many saddles through the years. I have mules so my saddle selection (storebought) anyway is pretty limited. I am thinking of building me a new saddle and in my reasearch I ran accross a "New" type of tree. New to me anyway. This was a polimer tree of some sort and it had a plastic coated cable molded into the tree. The theory was that the cable acted as the rigging which to attach your off billet and latigo. The cable comes out of the tree towards the front and goes back in near the back. The explanation was that you could simply slide your off billet and latigo forward or backward along the cable, depending on how you wanted it rigged ( ie. full, 7/8, 5,8 etc. ) Does anyone know anything about these trees?? The theory makes sence, I am just not sure the mechanics work, it looks like if you tightened up your latigo say forward, then it would eventually slide down the cable towards the middle and loosen up?? Maybe I am wrong and this is the tree of the future??? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

There are a couple old threads about these trees.

This one has the manufacturer chiming in and pictures of the cable rigging and how it works: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=11307&hl=laporte

Here's another one: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20415&hl=laporte

Denise,

Thanks for the links that was exactly the kind of info. I was looking for. I still am unsure after reading the post, but I do understand how they work now. I may would give one a try. I will certainly do some more reasearch before comitting.

Thanks, Jamie

As with anything to do with trees and saddles, there are (almost) always differing opinions... After all, every tree maker (and every saddle makers) does things differently, because they all think differently about things!

You can use the lock rings they will provide you with the tree to set the location of the latigo and off billet. Or you can make an adjuster out of 1/2" nylon webbing to go to the back side of the latigo on the cable and pull the cable forward to a buckle to form the "u" shape into a "p" shape. I conceal the buckle under the latigo and cinch keepers. In the "P" the latigo can not slide uphill on the cable to change locations. Without the lock ring or nylon it will settle in to around a center fire. I will see if I have pics. I do not use the lock rings. I like these trees. They are predictable,consistent,accurate,LIGHT, water and moisture proof,semi rigid with some flex, easily shaped to custom fit... I like them. I have two Aussie trees on order and should be here at the end of the week. If I don't have any pics I will take some during construction.

Edited by rufusjames

I am a fairly traditional guy. This is probably why I deal mostly in lever guns and single actions. I like leather also, I do not care for nylon. I like a rawhide covered wood tree, there is a reason they have been around so long. I also like to fit the tree to my mule or the mule I am building it for. This is why I like the composite tree, it makes fitting for me easier. I have changed some wood trees and it is more difficult for me. I am not sure I would find the cable neccessary, but I would like to try one. I know there are other rigging styles that lend themselves to adjusting the riggging also and I am not sure if the cable makes it better or just different. I like a heavier saddle, but I have children and some women I have done work for that weight is definately a consideration. They simply cannot tote a 40 lb. saddle around. I appreciate the opinion on these saddle trees from people who have actually used them, as I have not.

I've used LaPort Trees and built on them. They've got some plusses and some minuses.

Plusses- light weight, strong, great horn pattern, pretty affordable

Minuses- short bar pattern, not possible to put in an all leather groundseat

As for the cable rigging: I had one customer who hated the cable rig cut it off and replaced it with a ring rig; I know several who love love it. I personally do like it, but thats just my opinion. I like a 3/4 single rig for some things.

I don't use these trees anymore but they have a place.

I'm interested in pictures of how to adjust the lock on a cable rigging and how to protect the latigo from the small cable.

Jean,

It is just a two piece cable clamp with two allen screws to tighten it to the cable. With the clamps on but NOT tight yet. I put the saddle on the horse. Settle the saddle into its position. Tighten cinch some. Move the horses feet some. Check cinch. Move feet. Check cinch. Check the location of the saddle(not twisted,rolled...) I double check and measure that the clamps are equal distance from a rigid point on the tree. Tighten the allen screws. The nice thing is if you dont get it right the first time... you will be able to adjust it to be correct.

rufusjames:

Thanks for the info. I'll try this. I like mine, too, but haven't tried to use the locks. I let it settle where it wants and the horse doesn't seem to have a problem with it. It seems to pull down quite evenly that way. But then, I'm not roping or riding long hours...too old! Thanks a lot!