Sign in to follow this  
mulepackin

Condition of used tools

Been looking at used tools for some time on Ebay, etc. Particularly Osborne stuff. Wondering if anyone can tell me why so many of these tools look rusted and pitted. I've looked at a great many draw knife strap cutters in particular and nearly all of them look like they were left out in the rain. I can't believe everyone of them was neglected. I'm sure these tools aren't chromed, blued or otherwise treated to prevent corrosion, but man they look tough.

The reason a lot of these tools look rough is because they are. It really seems like a lot of these old Osbornes especially and some of the Gomphs are estate finds. These date back to when tools were used to make a living and not as a hobby, so a lot of those tools have sat for 50 years or better. Grandad retired and the shop closed, so the tools came home to the basement or garage. The hollow handled cast draw gauges take it hard because they have corroded from inside and out. The gibs are lost. Seems like the bars usually are in decent shape. The brass frame ones do alright unless the wood has shrunk up. Somebody buys the whole lot at an auction and finds out that time spent to clean them up isn't worth it. They might not know what they have and how they are used, but they know they are all "vintage".

There are a few guys who restore old tools and have started off with good old tools to begin with. They pretty much sell good ones that are usuable right off the bat when you get them. Bob Douglas in Sheridan WY and Keith Pommer from Worthing SD are a couple I have dealt and would recommend without hesitation. They charge more, but they have done the legwork to get them and clean and restore them. Most of my other really good usable tools ready to go have come from old guys slowing down and have been in use right up to passing the mantle to me. Once in a while a home run in an antique store. A few from trading around duplicates to other guys using the tools.

I have made some pretty alright ebay deals, and some of the sellers are pretty knowledgable. I have got a few hand tools that were good, but I knew what they were and had a good idea of condition. Most of my ebay bargains have been bench tools - rein rounders, splitters, crank skivers. Seems like they will scare some people off, but there is better chance the bench tools have more care than hand tools thrown into a coffee can or box in the basement.