Well, being a somewhat slow, grumpy, obtuse thinking, and kind of 'old school' type of individual, I finally actually noticed that there seems to be a fairly recent penchant for holster makers to add a 'sweat shield" to their line of pistol carriers (designed to protect and carry in an easily accessible manner) a chosen firearm for use in that possible instance in which TSHTF. Looking and contemplating (over an adult beverage or two) the actual reasonable application of this addendum to a decent holster, I submit the following:

A prime attribute of veg tanned leather is it's ability (affinity?...) to absorb moisture. Just what we want right up next to our chubby 'Luuuv-Handles" in a humid, warm climate, (on the one side)....and our piece of machinery upon which our own existence may depend on the opposite side. Right? The sweaty moisture eases right from a cotton T-shirt (hopefully you are wearing one) into the leather (remember, no matter what, leather 'taint waterproof) and that moisture works right on through to the other side...right to where our life saving shooter is. Now, this isn't just Kentucky spring water oozing through...this stuff leaching through your pores consists of water, oils, minerals, acids and the residuals of that Italian Sausage you munched down as a quick lunch yesterday. The enclosed pics are of a belt worn for just under a year in the desert southwest.......that dark stuff is sweat stain on a plain old work belt. It goes all the way through the belt leather (9/10 oz veg tanned)

003-4.jpg

001-13.jpg

Now that we can reasonably consider that a chunk of leather may not keep sweat off of our chosen life support system, I decided to look at that chunk of cow skin snuggled tightly next to my undergarment, and between it and my chosen shooter. Well, as said, the moisture from the cotton undershirt is available to wick right into the leather 'SHIELD', and said shield is right up against my life support system, and said nasty bodily fluids can easily leach into the mag release, cylinder release, trigger mechanism...... etc. as the leather is permeated. That shield, after a reasonably short time in a nasty climate....'taint stopping much of anything.

OK....lets just slide past all of the preceding....some of you will will anyway...and think about what we do when that time comes.......(ever been there? ..I have) We have our life preserver. (holster is an IWB or OWB.... it doesn't matter) hanging right where we want it. We are attired in our normal manner for concealed carry, T-shirt over the chubbies, holster on a solid platform, shirt, sweater, jacket etc. covering the concealed shooter ....and then all hell breaks loose. Grab for your defensive weapon (to be utilized in a very offensive manner at this point) and .....with the 'shield'....... where does your strong hand thumb go????? Odds are.....10 to 1 you will grab for your shooter, and get your thumb between your t-shirt and the leather shield and damned near rip your trousers off while trying to figure out why the hell that shooter refuses to leave the holster. I spent 15 years as a Police Firearms instructor.(I still teach firearm handling but prefer to work with trap shooters....less stress for me). Worked with wheel-guns , auto pistols, AR's, some damned good anti sniper rifles, and even an old WWII 'M-3 Grease gun (it was a kick...and surprisingly, a pretty damned accurate short range carbine ..once you learn to 'tickle' the trigger).

My point is.......If in a very inclement environ, do as we have done for years. Wipe your shooter down completely at the end of shift. Care for it.......it just may allow you to go home for a Friday night fried chicken dinner. To think that a chunk of leather is going to do anything positive is laying your hopes on a pile of damp sand. If the climate isn't that extreme, why have an extra piece of leather hung out there to get in the way anyhoo?? If necessary,go to a stainless weapon in the real bad climates...with proper lube....I know it costs money.....But if you don't believe it's worth your toukus....'taint no skin off my nose. Once wet, allow the leather to dry out completely, then condition it prior to reusing it. This may take the expense of more than one holster....maybe even more than one handgun. Surprise! Finally....rely on the tried and true......gimmicks come and go....(anyone remember the 'guttersnipe?). Take care of your stuff and you have the best chance of going home to play with the kid's mama. Just the thoughts and ramblings of a grumpy old........whatever. Mike

Mike,

I have never liked sweat shields either. But folks want them so I make them. My other pet peeve is extreme forward cant. For concealing reasons, I can see some cant. But I have folks tell me that the extreme forward cant is easier to draw the weapon. I don't see it.

My rants too.

Jeff

Well said, Mike.

Trends come and go. Marketplace demands vary over time. Peoples' expectations are tittilated by reading every gun magazine or internet blog they can subscribe to. The bottom line is this: 40 states have adopted "shall issue" type concealed carry laws, requiring the issuance of a carry permit to anyone not otherwise prohibited that meets minimum standards (I think this is a good thing). Roughly 20,000,000 to 30,000,000 people have chosen to carry a weapon as a simple exercise in enlightened self-interest. Many of those nice folks have little or no experience, and rely upon (first) what they see and read, and hopefully (second) on an experienced hand that can guide them toward a carry rig that fits their needs, wardrobe, usual activities, etc.

Those of us having a few decades of experience carrying defensive handguns can share what we have learned with others, as you have done in your original post. Those of us who have both the experience and the ability to craft the necessaries for discreet, comfortable, and functional concealed carry rigs can help folks even more. That is what I have based my little business on, that is what has led me to several unique holster designs, and that is what keeps me busy filling orders. I am sure that your business is much the same. People come to you for your experience and expertise as much as for your craftsmanship and artistic abilities. What works? Tell them. What doesn't work? Tell them. Most will listen to the voice of experience.

Best regards.

Actually, the main reason for the "sweat shield" is not sweat, but to keep the safeties or other protrusions of the firearm from digging into your skin when sitting. Why they started being called sweat shields is beyond me....it all boils down to personal preference of comfort. I carry both styles of holster, and because of my slim build, i find the shields to be more comfortable on IWB's. Also, a majority of the manufactures now cater to the "low profiles" and actually carry very nicely without shields. Again, it is personal preference.

Warpe

Actually, the main reason for the "sweat shield" is not sweat, but to keep the safeties or other protrusions of the firearm from digging into your skin when sitting. Why they started being called sweat shields is beyond me....it all boils down to personal preference of comfort. I carry both styles of holster, and because of my slim build, i find the shields to be more comfortable on IWB's. Also, a majority of the manufactures now cater to the "low profiles" and actually carry very nicely without shields. Again, it is personal preference.

Warpe

I agree completely. Some of my handguns 'bite', others don't. The ones that 'bite' get the shield...

As to the sweat, in South Texas that's a given. And so is constant cleaning of all carry pieces.

I've always had "sweat shields", "slide guards" or what ever you want to call them on my holsters unless they are requested without them. I think that total is 2 in 3 years. I didn't do it because I thought it was a fad or something that I thought would set me apart, I did it because for comfort I wouldn't carry any other way. My slide guards are built is such a way that if my thumb is placed where it is supposed to be on the draw, there is no leather there to interfere.

I also believe that some sweat protection is better than none. Maybe in southern climates every day carry will result in the same thing, a sweat soaked sweat shield. For those who do not live in those climes, that same shield can offer quite a bit of protection from body fluids. Even on very sweaty days, that shield is still preventing some fluids from penetrating the firearm. Against a bare body or Tshirt, that sweat is going to run a lot deeper into the firearm than without it. Yes, either way, the weapon needs to be wiped down or stripped and cleaned regularly.

Again though, my primary reason for building that into my holsters is for my protection with the guns protection secondary.

What I've often wondered is what purpose does an abbreviated guard serve? Too short to protect from the safety, too short to keep sweat off.

I build for comfort as well, and have included the sweat shield on almost all my IWB holsters. I think the finish on the leather also plays a large role in things, as I've seen very little soak through when I've properly sealed the leather. That said, if the entire holster is IWB, then that little piece between the back of the gun and our skin/shirt is probably seeing LESS sweat than the rest of the holster. Still, I've had a 1911 stab me pretty good with the BTGS, so I started including them. So far, no complaints about them. I also thin it down to where it doesn't interfere with the firing grip. The bit about wiping down the weapon, daily, after holster wear, is somethingm that I've always done, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention it in the 'care and feeding' notes about the holster....this day and age, it seems like every customer needs an itemized list of what to do with the holster.

I'm a "new guy" both to carrying and to holster making, so the current trends in carrying are all I've seen. Thus far, I've made all my holsters with a sweatguard, because, as mentioned, it seems to be the expectation these days. I sweat a lot, and have those same dark stains on the sweat guard of one of my holsters that I left natural and didn't seal ( I was lazy, and rushing to cobble together an appendix holster for myself). My gun still gets moisture on it, but not as much as if it was against my skin.

I find the sweat guard to contribute to comfort as well, though, smoothing out sharp corners.

Katsass, how was that belt sealed? I'm curious to know if it was an acrylic or oil finish.

Edited by woodandsteel

I don't believe it has anything to do with "trend"...I built this one for myself without a "body shield" and the safety lever started working away at my side...leaving hickies.......not very comfy....

I re-made it with a shield and fixed the problem.

Misc.jpg

Edited by Rayban

I do like a shield depending on the ride height of the gun. I know whenever carrying IWB on a hot day, anything that isnt covered by the guard has a little sweat on it after taking it off.

No big deal for me as I mostly carry Glocks but if a guy was carrying say a blued 1911 or similar he might have a problem after a short perod of time.

I include them on all of my IWB holsters and a few of my owb's.

I have had a few requests to cut them down which isnt a big deal and its alot easier than adding them after building them. :lol:

I'm a "new guy" both to carrying and to holster making, so the current trends in carrying are all I've seen. Thus far, I've made all my holsters with a sweatguard, because, as mentioned, it seems to be the expectation these days. I sweat a lot, and have those same dark stains on the sweat guard of one of my holsters that I left natural and didn't seal ( I was lazy, and rushing to cobble together an appendix holster for myself). My gun still gets moisture on it, but not as much as if it was against my skin.

I find the sweat guard to contribute to comfort as well, though, smoothing out sharp corners.

Katsass, how was that belt sealed? I'm curious to know if it was an acrylic or oil finish.

wookandsteel: That work belt was oiled then a double shot of an acrylic finish was applied. It do get a but toasty out here in the desert, and with the occasional influx of the monsoon moisture from Mexoco things can get downright nasty to go out and work in. Mike

OK, after reading the replies sent re: my original comments on sweat guards. it kinda seems that these may be more of a geographical thing than I initially thought. Most that responded somewhat emphatically seemed to originate in the mid-west to the southern part of the country I include Rayban....but ..I don't even actually see anything along the lines of what I consider a sweat shield on the holster for that little Smith.

I guess that my major problem with the things are that there is that LESS than remote possibility of getting hold of the shield with the thumb when TSHTF......and efectively stopping a rapid, smooth draw. I have seen all kinds of things happen while on the range AND when things are a LOT more intense. I can STILL see my partner's shooter in between me and a bad guy while I was physically engaged in attempting to keep from getting my butt kicked by the said BIG bad guy (that was not a good day), or how about a left handed shooter getting a poor grip and punching the mag out on the deck while trying to punch holes in a target downrange, or an overly excited young deputy drawing and sticking his firearm out at full arm's length directly in front of him, and finding out that while he is screaming some damned thing at full volume, a bad guy can kick hell out of a screen door and make the young deputy's shooter 'fly' across the backyard, luckily, without going bang! To me, anything that CAN POSSIBLY interfere with the solid and secure grip on your firearm is not a good thing. I guess that that is my main point......and I have seen too damned many bad things happen. I just don't see how the possible comfort aspect outweighs the negative aspects of catching a chunk of leather during the draw. Mike

Edited by katsass

What sweat shield?/ Did I say I had a sweat shield?? I don't have a sweat shield........It's a safety lever shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's there...you're gonna have to trust me on this one..

BTW..I tried grabbing it during a draw....several of them...and couldn't......must be a good design eh?

When I think of "sweat shield" I think of a thin layer of plastic (or other impermiable substance) sewn/glued between a liner and the holster leather. The liner being soft and cozy against the skin. Some holster maker(s) I've seen do just that, to attempt to prevent sweat soak through the leather to the firearm. I can see it working to some degree, especially if the holster is sealed well to begin with (but if it's sealed well enough... why use the plastic?).

A slide guard, or whatever you choose to call it, in my opinion is there to keep gun parts from fighting with your body parts. I made the mistake of having a huge one that interrupted my grasp and draw on my first holster. However, I think that they can be kept to a minimum and still achieve some protective comfort while still allowing a competent grasp and draw of the firearm.

I guess the terms can be synonymous. But that's my take on it. I've made 'em with and without.

Nooj

I've seen really big sweat shield/ slide guards/ whatever you wanna call them, that certainly look like they would get in the way of a draw. The ones I use are generally pretty small and wont hinder the draw at all if the proper grip is used.

IMG_2525Medium.jpg

IMG_2250Medium.jpg

Mine are intended as "body shields", but that phrase seems to confuse people.

I suppose, in the case of the holsters I build for myself, "spare tire guard" would be most appropriate......

I use my own holsters at the range, drawing from concealment, and have never gotten the gun "trapped" in the holster, whether by the sweat shield, or the cover garment, or any combination thereof. T-shirt, tank top, jacket, "shoot me first" vest, whatever. Hasn't been a problem. Not saying it couldn't possibly be, just that it hasn't yet, in hundreds if not thousands of presentations from the holster.

I think design plays a big part. If the holster is designed in such a fashion that a full firing grip (minus the finger in the trigger guard, of course) does not interfere with the holster, then it shouldn't be a problem. And if it IS a problem, you don't HAVE a full firing grip, and are predictably opening doors to problems no matter WHAT holster you're using.

I need sweat shields to keep thumb safeties and the sides of high-profile rear sights from digging painfully into my flesh. Maybe it's a form of projection, but I figure other people want them, for that same reason, as well.

What sweat shield?/ Did I say I had a sweat shield?? I don't have a sweat shield........It's a safety lever shield!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it's there...you're gonna have to trust me on this one..

BTW..I tried grabbing it during a draw....several of them...and couldn't......must be a good design eh?

Sorry about that...you didn't say 'sweat' shield.....it obviously is a useful design factor Mike

OK ........ I think what we have here is a problem of semantics, or, maybe things are showing up out here that are not necessarily showing up in other locations around the country. What I refer to as a sweat shield doesn't appear be what others are calling a sweat shield....like Rayban has a design element to protect against the safety/decocker grinding on him, it 'taint a sweat shield or ANY kind of shield.in my understanding. It's an integral design element to increase the comfort of the wearer. The sweat shield that I speak about is a big honking chunk of leather that covers that whole damned backside of the holstered pistol, and also climbs above (or at least level with) the top of the pistol when it is sitting in place on the belt. It isn't an element designed for the comfort of the wearer and to keep the safety, decocker, slide stop, etc. from chafing, rubbing or abrading the soft chubbies of the wearer, it's there to (ostensibly) keep sweat away from the gun, and, as I initially indicated, it 'tain't worth a diddly damn IMHO. The more I read and/or listen to others from different parts of the world....and even other parts this country.....I find that terminology can, and does sometimes get in the way of understanding just what the hell we are (or at least what I am) talking about. For example, back some time ago I had seen many comments about 'Barbecue Rigs'. I had absolutely no idea what folks were commenting about, I mean REALLY, why does one put on a special shooting rig to go to a BBQ? Is it that rough a congregation of folks....is it that the item designed for the cooker is still a bit reluctant to go on the fire?..... or are those involved holding off invading Artesians. I had no idea, because where I come from out here you just DON'T put on a shooter to show off your leather when you go to a friend's place for afternoon munchies.

Now, I think I'll just quit before I put my foot any farther in my mouth. Mike

Edited by katsass

The more I read and/or listen to others from different parts of the world....and even other parts this country.....I find that terminology can, and does sometimes get in the way of understanding just what the hell we are (or at least what I am) talking about.

Ain't that the truth!!! I've had some VERY strange conversations with members in Gr. Britain, and Australia who claim they speak English, but pepper their conversations with colloquialisms and local slang...I'm not sure what we were saying to each other but at least we parted on friendly terms.

How bout..."decocker, go awayer"

post-4803-083402800 1310670321_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rayban

Is THIS the sort of thing you're talking about, Mike?

http://www.dragonlea...s.com/index.php

Yeppers, that be the sort of thing I'm talking about....however, these are a bunch nicer than some that I've seen. There are a few out there that are really kind of nasty looking. Mike

Is THIS the sort of thing you're talking about, Mike?

http://www.dragonlea...s.com/index.php

Thanks for the link, Big O.

Didn't know about this site until I saw some traffic hits on SiteMeter. Looks interesting...will have to carve out some time soon to poke around and peruse a bit.

Dragon

Living in Florida I do not know how anyone would carry without a shield between the body and firearm...

I don't think they need to be some huge hunk of leather which extends all the way up for the hammer when carrying cocked and locked. Mine only go as high as the slide and or beaver tail and no further, though I do have it wide enough to extend to the top of the rear sight.

Working Leather Balm into the back side of the holster and then hitting it with Resolene 50/50 seems to do just fine at keeping the body salts off the firearm and the firearm from digging in.

I do notice there seems to be some who do make it so there is a huge flap of leather as a shield which is not cut in such a way that a person is not going to lock the weapon into the holster upon attempting to draw.

Seen it more than a few times with Revolver leather and quiet a bit with Pistol leather.

My brother carries a Sig 230 SS up front IWB and it shows that Body Salt does in fact have an impact even on high grade Stainless. Threw a deep cover together for him with a shield and he hasn't had an issue since.

Still, I've had a 1911 stab me pretty good with the BTGS, so I started including them.

What does BTSG stand for?

I am new to modern weapons and holster making. My brother asked me to make a holster and belt for his Kimber Solo.

I am starting to make holsters for my own Colt 1851 Navy Cap and Ball revolvers.

Doug

post-24334-0-46530800-1355050966_thumb.j