Leather Bum

Brass or Zinc Die Cast?

Are there any advantages to using brass hardware over zinc?

I'm just trying to get an idea if one type is actually better than the other for belt buckles, etc. I thought I had heard that brass hardware was stronger/tougher/better for using with leather, but I would like to know for sure. . .

L'Bum

You are correct L'Bum. Brass is superior to zinc die cast, or bronze for that matter.

Stay away from brass plated anything. The coating is so thin, it's useless (For some reason, nickle plated brass seems to last okay.). I would use bronze before zinc. Others will jump in, I'm sure.

I'm something of a traditionalist and enjoy working with the same stuff that has been tried and tested and used for years. I like using brass fittings and nickle plated brass because they work. IMHO, they don't spoil easily, don't wear out too fast and even when they get old, brass fittings can still look beautiful. I think all this probably comes under the heading of: If it works don't fix it!

Others will doubtless give you the technical stuff, but from an aesthetic point of view, I love the look and feel of old brass and properly cared for leather and I believe it is worth using brass fittings for that reason alone. I'm not sure that this is the criteria you were wanting folk to comment on, L'Bum; but hey, you'll get all kinds of nonsense from me!

If im replacing a broke piece, i try to replace it with a better unit. I believe both Zinc and brass will break easy. If i have an SS equivalent of the Zinc, i will ask the owner if they would rather have that. For brass there isnt alot of other choices for anything better.

I'll give it a try,

Zinc is just a very cheap metal that is lightweight and weak. For some reason it often has air bubbles (oclusions) in it and breaks very easily.

Steel is relatively cheap and very strong, but steel + leather + sweat = burnt leather. I see a lot of chrome plated steel, but the chrome wears off,chips off and you're in the same boat.

Brass is relatively strong and inexpensive (was) and leather friendly. But it's not that strong. I used to see a lot of harness buckles that had a brass body and a steel tongue with brass sweated onto the tongue. Lately, on English type saddles, the prices are going up, up, up, and the materials and labor skill are going down. But they are pretty and comfortable, don't have to be broken in, as in days of yore. Anyways, part of that prettiness is brass stirrup bars, and they break.

Used to see a lot of brass and bronze rigging dees (actually rings) on western saddles, but they were massive.

Now stainless has gotten relatively inexpensive. I'm guessing production technology has helped there. Stainless steel is very strong and leather friendly. It is more expensive, but when someone's life is on the line, I find it worth that little extra.

I know I've left out nickle (German silver), but I don't see much, if any hardware made of that anymore.

Hope that puts things in a little perspective anyway. Kevin

I agree with UKRay in every respect! I've been making belts and things for over 30 years, using either cast brass or nickel-plated brass buckles and fittings, and I've never had an instance of a buckle or ring wearing out or breaking. The old stuff is always best (in my opinion)!

If im replacing a broke piece, i try to replace it with a better unit. I believe both Zinc and brass will break easy. If i have an SS equivalent of the Zinc, i will ask the owner if they would rather have that. For brass there isnt alot of other choices for anything better.

I make a lot of halters for gallopers and pacers and I now only use S/S. Brass is nice but it actually wears out as dirt and sand rubs where the strapping meets the metal and it isn't as strong as the rings will bend with enough strain on them. CP is strong but but will eventually rust.Diecast stuff beaks easily, I'm always replacing busted diecast buckles and harness rings that aren't welded . They buy cheap imported stuff from China and India then have to spend more to have it made as it should be made. Definetly no to diecast.

Tony.

So when hardware is listed as "nickel plated" does that mean plated brass, plated die cast, or....? Depends on who you buy from?

For Example

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...?number=1151-00

Always ask what the base metal is before making a purchase. I like good solid brass or nickle plated brass buckles and have had no problems to date - but that is just me! I wouldn't touch poor quality buckles at any price... My customers are worth a lot more to me if they come back for another belt/harness or whatever. I have just (last weekend) made a belt for a guy who bought his last one from me more than twenty five years ago. We re-used the brass buckle...