hh1302

New Tree--How To Correct?

I don't want this to appear as a knock on a company, so I won't give the name. I ordered a tree and it just came in. It appears that one of the nails holding the hide, stitching, etc. was too long for where it was driven, and it's creating a bump on the top side of the tree. (It's still contained under the hide but very raised). It is exactly where the stirrup leather will go around and has to be addressed. What is the proper solution?

Call the Company (talk to the "CEO") to let them know, make a pic of the area and send it via email, send the tree back - maybe when talking to them they come up with a (different) solution that satisfies you.

They should be glad you notify them so they have a chance to get it straight instead of you spreading the word that they sent you a tree with a problem.

Edited by Tosch

What Tosch posted was a good answer. But, if you can live with the tree, to repair the problem is to use a tack hammer and a hand anvil (mandrel) and tap the nail so that the pointed end is flattened (problem solved). From time to time this may happen when you put in a metal seat strainer: a nail will be too long for the depth of the bars. This can be caused by driving the nail in at the wrong angle, or using too long of nails for the depth of the bars. To remedy this problem, hopefully just one or two nails, I use my Dremel tool and lightly grind off the pointed end that has come through the rawhide. Avoid grinding or filing the rawhide. If you use stainless steel nails, there will be no spots to rust.

Ron

When this happens to me, I simply buttress the pointed end on m anvil and thump it good from the head side with a hammer. It will clinch much like the nail holding a shoe on a horses foot. A couple of good thumps and the point will be below the surface of the raw hide and rounded so as not to catch the stirrup leather.

Bob

what he said plus before I did it I would call the tree company and tell them about it and what I planned to do instead of the hassle of sending it back and see what they say