rachmaree77

Where Do I Start?

Hi All,

Ok so as the topic says "Where do I Start" :dunno:

I am based in Gippsland,Victoria and was wondering if there where any classes/courses that are available around my area?

I am totally new to this so was wondering where I can get some information on where to begin, books, tools, dvd's etc

I would love to make a stock whip as my first project :cowgirl:

Cheers

Most anything you can think of can be learned on youtube

Most anything you can think of can be learned on youtube

I will check youtube out!!

How about tools? Is it best to get a beginner set or something like that?

don't spend money yet... first see what types of items you are interested in making.... Carving leather is a whole different set of tools as opposed to making wallets / purses/ bags

don't spend money yet... first see what types of items you are interested in making.... Carving leather is a whole different set of tools as opposed to making wallets / purses/ bags

Ok, will start looking into it on Youtube, see what I can work out. I am interested in making Saddlery, small stuff to start with just see how I go with it

Getting into making saddles will be a big step will take a fair amount of investment of both time and money. Before you set your sights on that you will want to get involved in a smaller scale to make sure leatherwork is what you really want to do. Pick some projects let us know where you want to start and we can then give you more specific advise. If you do decide to get involved in saddles look for some one in your area that does saddles and start building a relationship with them. You tube will help some but you will want some one on one help with saddles.

Ha ha a saddle won't be my first project...but it is something I would like to do. No doubt it will be years before I cld even start to look into it.