bruno24

Removing Bobin Case Pignon Screw Singer 29K51

Hi, I just purchased an overused 29k51, whose bobin holed makes troubles. I decided to take a look but the tiny screw does not go out out ans stays in the hole. After over an hour of try clockwise and anticlockwise nothing happens the srew is still in place may be broken . I decided to rely on forum fellow expertise.

Drill a hole and remove old stuff for a new bobin holder and new pignon ?

Other idea ?

pictures attached.

Thnaksbeforehand.

Bruno Fr

post-61192-0-35613800-1427564808_thumb.j

post-61192-0-72322300-1427564843_thumb.j

You should be very careful on this model 29 the gears haven't been available here in the US for over 35yrs.Unless you already have or know for sure you have new parts I would leave it alone.I have had to use a drift pin (flat headed punch) as small as the bobbin shaft & a big hammer & drove them out breaking the haed off the screw,but on this model you might also break the gear.

Thank you bob I'm glad to have the expert help with you. That situation is what I feared. However I keep on tring to unscrew without destroying the pinion. If I am lucky is the bobin holder still a standard 29 K available ?

Bob, your advice was useful.

I decided for a non invasive repair since no spare parts is available for the K51. The bobine carrier is still in place but i used a file to remove a saillant edge alloving the pinion to move smmothly under the crank action. I was vey lucky to see that i can make some beautiful stiches ( 4.4 mil) with a 130 needle and 80 polyester thread in some thin leather. however in thicker leather a mess arise in the bobin which keeps the loops as seen on the picture.

Nb: By the same token I notice the shuttel holder spring has no screw but a rivet instead.

what kind of new problem to solve ? please help?

post-61192-0-02808000-1427800091_thumb.j

Sounds like someone lost the screw & found a rivet that fit,these screws are available & so are the shuttles.

On 3/31/2015 at 7:12 AM, bruno24 said:

Bob, your advice was useful.

I decided for a non invasive repair since no spare parts is available for the K51. The bobine carrier is still in place but i used a file to remove a saillant edge alloving the pinion to move smmothly under the crank action. I was vey lucky to see that i can make some beautiful stiches ( 4.4 mil) with a 130 needle and 80 polyester thread in some thin leather. however in thicker leather a mess arise in the bobin which keeps the loops as seen on the picture.

Nb: By the same token I notice the shuttel holder spring has no screw but a rivet instead.

what kind of new problem to solve ? please help?

post-61192-0-02808000-1427800091_thumb.j

My machine is doing the same thing, 5 days of frustration and I about to repair it with a sledge hammer or 5 sticks of Dynamite, cannot keep it in time, time it like it should be, roll the hand wheel 4 or five times and its out of time again it is a 1925 vintage machine, I have a 29-2 no k involved that is a 1893 model old sews pretty good.