solidspace

Where's the bootmaker's?

hello, I'm looking to learn how to make shoes and boots. I wear the ones I buy out too fast. I'd appreciate any advice, good books, etc.

thanks, zack

Zack,

There are a few boot makers on this forum. Another one I would suggest is The Honorable Cordwainer's Colloquy. www.thehcc.org. There are some serious makers from all over the world, boots and shoes. Guys doing stuff dating back to the 1400s discussing things with guys using celastic. I joined to learn about skiving and inlays. Ends up I learn a lot more along the way. Some is over my head, some things I actually know. Some of the philosophical discussions have directly impacted some things I do in everyday life. Good bunch to follow along with for me.

Another one I would suggest is The Honorable Cordwainer's Colloquy. www.thehcc.org.

Just took a quick glance over there. Thats not the easiest forum to navigate. Makes you appreciate the setup we have here.

Jason

Just took a quick glance over there. Thats not the easiest forum to navigate. Makes you appreciate the setup we have here.

Jason

Try this one.

http://customcowboybootsandshoesforum.com/...html?1141435488

Bruce,

Thanks for sending me in that direction, that's what I was looking for, a good starting point.

Zack

Edited by solidspace

Ok Kinda new here and I dont know who is who yet but I would like to put my two cents in. For a begining,see if you can find any tutorials on peg down soles. Some of the reasons I recomend this is teh nned for a curved needle stitcher or haveing to pay sombody else to stitch soles is not an issue. A very solid pair of boots and easy as pie to resole.

here is a list of bootmaking schools.

http://www.dimlights...es/schoolin.htm

SkipJ

If you are interested in visiting Montana, bootmaking classes are held at Frank English Custom Boots. The shop is in Ronan, Montana, northwest part of the state. You can email FNEcustomboots@netzero.net or call 406-676-0088. This would be a 2 week 12 hour/day class. You will build one pair of boots. For people close by classes can be altered to fit your circumstances. Frank English

Edited by bootsmt