Tarawhite

Press For Line 24 Snaps?

Greetings... I have been tooling for a while now, but just now upgrading my tools to incorporate the more expensive machinery for reliability. I want to buy a press for line 20 & 24 snaps, and different size rivets .. Since I have never used one, I don't know what to look for. I would rather buy a used one for recycling reasons. When conducting searches on Ebay, I find a multitude of presses from all different time periods in a range of prices. What should I be looking for? Could these possibly be also co-used for the square tandy craftool imprinting stamps? Are all the presses pretty much the same- they just need different dies(sp?)?

Gratitude in advance for your help!

~Tara

I found a MAUN Universal Pliers tool set in a gray plastic box with dies not only for snaps but round and lacing punches as well.

Go to Knife Kits dot com http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=41_526&products_id=634. This is an arbor press that has been set up for snaps, eye lets and rivets. The press is nice as it will use less force than an arm press so easier to use when setting a large number of items as in spots. It is already drilled out to accept their dies or can be used with any standard Tandy die. Their dies are a lot cheaper than Tandy's. I just up graded to this press an love it for large jobs and small

I will vouch for Goldstar - very satisfied with their press and their die sets are the most reasonable I have found. https://goldstartool.com/

I have used the gold star press and dies and they work as good as my 189$ press

+1 for Goldstar, used both snaps from both Tandy and Springfield Leather in it without issue.

have dies for line 20 and 24 snaps and 10mm rivets. all work well.

Foot presses are the best if you can afford one they cost more than the hand press but you will be much happier. I tried a hand press and the snaps just would not press correctly so I returned it and got a foot press, one of my best equipment choices.

Wow, all great suggestions...Thanks! I am so tired of destroying snaps when I am hand setting them. Still deciding...

Hello All,

Tarawhite, I am sorry to pirate your post, but my question correlates so I hope you don't mind! I am on the Gold Star Tool website and about to order the snap press as I have been ruining hours of work by setting snaps unsuccessfully! Thus far, I am using line 20 snaps from Tandy exclusively. I am setting them on leather cuffs out of 5-6oz leather I have waterstained The press comes with your choice of one die, but I am unsure as to which one I should choose! The list of options includes:

Die for Ring Snaps 20 Ligne/12.5mm (1/2")

Die set for Ring snaps (double cap) 20 Ligne/12.5mm

Die for spring snaps 20 Ligne 12.5 mm

and

Die Set for Spring Snaps (double cap) 20 Ligne/12.5mm

Can anyone tell me which of these dies would work with the Tandy line 20 snaps? My apologies if this is a silly or obvious question - it's all new to me :helpsmilie:

Thank you!

MountainBeachMama

If you know someone with a drill press, You can drill a hole in the end of the arbor of THIS harbor freight arbor press that will fit the tandy hand dies, as well as drilling and tapping a setscrew hole to hold the die in. This is basically what the guy at Knifekits.com do. Those presses sometimes go on sale for 30-40 bux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVyV3ZTVpqY Ian atkinsons mod video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=895pVicyZ0E another really cool video with some other ideas.

Plus, you also have a press for embossing and using clicker dies. Cant do that with the weak-sauce tandy crafttool handpress for $250 cad....

Edited by TinkerTailor

Thank you both so much! I will look in to both options :notworthy:

The one thing that has not been mentioned is the dies. If you are starting out and buying everything then the gold star might be the way to go. The problem with the Gold Star is that you have to use their dies with the press. The top dies are a screw in die where every one else use a straight shank die with a set screw. Where I had some Tandy dies already this press would not work.

Thank you, Bobby Rose! The press I am looking at comes with a set of dies, so I just need it to work with the line 20 Tandy snaps, as I don't already have any dies. This is really good to know for future reference though!

I will vouch for Goldstar - very satisfied with their press and their die sets are the most reasonable I have found. https://goldstartool.com/

I have just purchased a Goldstar tool press and dies. I bought both the line 20 and 24 and out of the bag as they were intended to be used, they did not work but a combination of the two I found four dies from the eight that would do both the line 20 and 24 snaps. I want to try some of their dies for rivets and spots but a twenty bucks a pop I am a little reluctant with out some idea as to which to purchase. If you have had some experience with their other dies I would welcome the input.

Slow Learner, I purchased the Gold Star press about the time you posted your question about rivet dies. I don't use a lot of rivets, but wasn't satisfied with setting them by hand. I don't remember which die came with my press, but I ended up having to buy another size to fit small to large rivets. I then had a 8mm die and a 9mm die. Recently I posted a question on solid brass hardware on this forum and with the excellent information I received, I have upgraded to solid brass rivets (from Tandy). They need a 10 mm die, so I bought one. Twenty bucks a pop is reasonable for me to install these correctly. I have wasted more than that in leather and the time I put into a project. So far they all work well. I don't have any ghost rings from the anvil or setter if not all lines up well.

Looks like I will be ordering at least 1 10mm and probably 8 & 9mm rivet dies as well. My earlier post about the line 20 and 24 dies I was in correct it seems that I mistakenly ordered one of the wrong dies. I have since ordered the correct set and am very pleased with Goldstar tools. Thanks Allen for your post on the rivet dies. Big help.

Does anyone know if the Gold Star dies will fit the Tandy Hand Press? Thank you!

Does anyone know if the Gold Star dies will fit the Tandy Hand Press? Thank you!

nope

they do not

Gold star press ( and pricey tandy) requires a set of dies for each size rivet or snap.

I have 8mm for the small rivets, 9 mm die set for med to large rivet.

Dies for each line 20 and line 24 snaps

I have read all posts on this question. Either I am slow or I am not seeing the answer I need. I am willing to buy the gold star press. But I can't figure out which die set is equivalent to the line 20 and 24 snaps from their list of dies... Please someone just tell me which ones to order. This is an older post so I hope to get a response. Thank you all this seems like a get resource for information.

I didn't read all the posts, but I have a Little Wonder press from Weaver and it sets line 20 and 24 snaps wonderfully easy. Also have dies to set jiffy rivets (never a bent shaft), 104 rivets, and hole punches. Great press - love it! A huge time saver on large projects. --John

Did Tandy change their Line 24 snaps?  I always use a concho screwed into the male Tandy Line 24 snap but have used my Goldstar reliably for many years to set the female. I do have to grind a bit off the posts to make for a better fit. Yesterday I had to set a standard male snap cover and I crushed half a dozen male snaps on the Goldstar before I realized that it is the wrong length for the Tandy snap! The Tandy is 4.55 mm and the snaps I have purchased elsewhere are 4.22!! I guess the extra length makes fitting the screws a bit easier (I grind my own down to the correct size but the die crushes the snap before the  die post reaches the snap post.

Thanks!

Bob