DianeWood

Setting Spots Help!

Does anyone know how to set spots with a hand setter just like in the picture below? I know how to use the tool but I just don't know how they put the spots over there sewed lines? Thanks, Diane

post-48212-0-50902800-1408555149_thumb.j

Doesn't look like the center is actually over the sewed line. Looks to be just below it. They probably punch holes just below the sewed lines and then punch them down.

Thats what i thought but with that being a thin piece of leather do the spots go all the way through then wat do they do with the prongs because its already sewed together, surely they arent showing on the back side.

Do the tacks stay in the leather properly? I have never used them before.

If you are hammering them into wood then absolutely. When you see antique furniture rotting away...those tacks are still firmly in place.

I have never used them so keep that in mind. I can't imagine they would stay properly without some method of bending the needle back into the leather though.

Just pushing them into leather without some method of securing the needle will not work. I would suggest ordering a bag of them since they are so cheap and just experiment with some scrap leather.

Edited by barehandcustoms

Those spots look like the anodized aluminum spots from www.standardrivet.com. If that's what they are then they have two prongs and you can just use an exacto knife to make 2 slits where you want to put the spot at and then push the spot in and fold the prongs over on the back. However, I don't recommend the anodized aluminum spots for anything that will be heavily used. The website is right that the color does not peel or chip, but it does scratch off very easy. In fact, while I was trying to set them on a "trial collar" I had to toss out a few of them becuase they arrived scratched. Most likely from rubbing against each other in the packaging, but my customers who orderd "trial collars" have reported some of the spots have no color on them after 3-4 weeks.

Also, I highly doubt a spot setter would work with these spots because they are made with lightweight aluminum and crush pretty easy.

Hope my info helps :)

Diane, it is common and perfectly acceptable for the clinches to show on the back of a finished tack item. It is the only way it can be done if there is no room to sew next to the spots if the spots are set first. If a spot setting machine is used, and it works properly, the clinches are buried into the back and do not protrude at all to catch or irritate the horse. Setting them by hand is another matter. Very difficult to curl the clinch and bury it into the leather properly when setting by hand.