Sign in to follow this  
CitizenKate

retractable key cases

Here's something a little different I'm playing with. I've been doing a lot of small projects lately, just for a break from all the big game board projects, and also still searching for projects I can use up my smaller pieces of leather on...

I've always loved those little retractable key cases for which you can buy kits from Tandy, Hidecrafter, etc. This one is "from scratch" though, using a little better grade of leather than what comes in the kits, and I also fasten the keyring to the retractable strap with rivets, instead of snaps, because the snaps are not very secure and someone could lose their keys.

This just shows the cover after carving. I'm in "learning and experimenting mode" on this one, so if anyone has suggestions on the carving, feel free to speak up. Also, the coloring...

I have some Createx pearlized colors (acrylic, I suppose). I'd like to see irridescent green on the head and down the back side, which blends into either yellow (spirit dye) or gold (pearlized gold Createx). This is my first time to play with Createx colors, and also my first chance to try some of Clay's tips on coloring with acrylic. Suggestions there are also welcome.

Kate

keyCaseCelticDragonWIP_400.jpg

post-7-1173642268_thumb.jpg

[quote

This just shows the cover after carving. I'm in "learning and experimenting mode" on this one, so if anyone has suggestions on the carving, feel free to speak up. Also, the coloring...

I have some Createx pearlized colors (acrylic, I suppose). I'd like to see irridescent green on the head and down the back side, which blends into either yellow (spirit dye) or gold (pearlized gold Createx). This is my first time to play with Createx colors, and also my first chance to try some of Clay's tips on coloring with acrylic. Suggestions there are also welcome.

Kate

Hi Kate,

When I colored my pheasant, I used regular acrylic paints first. Then went over them with irridescent colors afterwards to give that sheen. I think you could color your dragon the same way, with either acrylic or spirit dyes first. That way you could get some shading in the dragon with the regular colors, and wash the irridescents over the top to get the sheen. Putting acrylic over spirit dye isn't a problem. If you want to use spirit dyes, do it like Peter showed in his last book. Mix a few shades of green, light, medium and full strength, and a couple shades of yellow. Then you can gradually blend the green into yellow. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

CLay

When using acrylic paint in air brush sometimes find it is to thick to spray and will use sheen to thin the paint, and this will give the acrylics a bright sheen.

Kate, when you're finished, I'd love to see some pictures of the full exterior and interior, if possible. I'd like to try a keycase, and I'm curious about construction methods...

Best, -Alex

Really nice work lady. Looking forward to seeing it completed. I've got some designs to send to you that I think you will like. It's some tatoo flash. I'm about to get another couple of tats. Guess I'm just getting old and crazy. Rephrase that, I'm already old.

Keep on smilin

Jim

Kate what would it take for you to do a tutorial on how you did this particular one? Or can you suggest a good video or book along this line. I really like how you did this one...

This is just the cover, again, with all the colors applied. It still needs to be sewn together. Clay, you are the master of acrylic color. Your suggestions yielded some nice results, but I still need more practice.

I will post again when the piece is finished.

Oscar: Thanks for the tip! Great idea - I will try it!

Alex: When I post photos of the completed project, I will show it from several views. Also, if you would like the pattern, I will gladly share it. The pieces for the keycase, that is, not the carving pattern. I am under a license agreement not to distribute it. However, if you like that design, you should check out www.tattoodles.com. Their subscription rates are very affordable, and there is a ton of material there that renders well in leather.

Jim: Thanky, sir! Y'know, you could just get it done in leather and wear it.

Matthew: I think I'm going to do another one of these (in another color scheme), so I could shoot photos on each step so you can see how I did this particular design. I've been wanting to make a Chinese Checkers board with an elaborate dragon design all around it, and did this to explore things I could do with a dragon's skin texture.

Thanks for the comments, all. I'm hoping to finish this tomorrow...

Kate

keyCaseCelticDragonWIP2_400.jpg

post-7-1173842471_thumb.jpg

WOW!!!

Kate I am even more impressed with it now.. I like the coloring on it

That would make a very fancy archery arm guard if you had an archer in the family..

This is just the cover, again, with all the colors applied. It still needs to be sewn together. Clay, you are the master of acrylic color. Your suggestions yielded some nice results, but I still need more practice.

/quote]

I've come to expect really nice stuff from you Kate and you've done it again! I like what you did with the color.

Me, master of any kind of color? You better go check your can of barge cement. I think you must have left the cover off!!

Clay

Alex: When I post photos of the completed project, I will show it from several views. Also, if you would like the pattern, I will gladly share it. The pieces for the keycase, that is, not the carving pattern.

Kate, yes, I'm just interested in seeing the construction methods and the keycase pattern. Thanks in advance for sharing! :)

-Alex

Very nice Kate!

Finally got this finished... here are the photos of the finished project.

Clay: You are too modest, my friend, but to put it in more modest terms, I like your work with acrylics enough to try to emulate what you do. Thanks so much for all you have shared! Also, you might notice that I shaped up some of the junctions, but also missed a couple. I'll work a little harder on that next time.

Alex: Hopefully, this will give you an idea of how the case is put together. The keeper has to be placed through its slot on the back side, then the rivets set, before the back and front are sewn together. I'll be happy to provide more detail if you need it.

Thanks again for the helpful and encouraging comments, everyone.

Kate

keyCaseDragon2_500.jpg

keyCaseDragon3_500.jpg

keyCaseDragon4_500.jpg

post-7-1173926368_thumb.jpg

post-7-1173926379_thumb.jpg

post-7-1173926387_thumb.jpg

Edited by CitizenKate

Kate, how is the strap attached? does it go under and come all the way up to the snap and is "riveted with the snap? Or is it sewn into the edge? Or is there a rivet or something under the strap that we cannot see?

The latter. It slides freely between one end, where the snap is set, and the other, where the keyring is riveted.

Kate

Kate, how is the strap attached? does it go under and come all the way up to the snap and is "riveted with the snap? Or is it sewn into the edge? Or is there a rivet or something under the strap that we cannot see?

A great piece M'Lady Kate

Could you please post the dimensions of the case? I just need the width and height that you used. My daughter likes the case and wants a Tigger design.

Edited by SmilinJim

I can do you one better... PM me with your email address, and I'll email you the pattern (minus the artwork).

Kate

My thanks Kate. I almost had it right from your pics. I scaled the keyring and adjusted from there. Mine would have been a little smaller. Again, great work and thanks for the pattern.

Keep Smilin

Jim