rawhide1

splitter blade is dang sharp!!!

Well I finally got everything in to sharpen my splitter blade. Boy was I happy I went over it with my stones and then used it. I then thought man this can be a little sharper so I wemnt to hone a little more and slipped. Well I bleed like a stuck hog all over the kitchen but I got the bleeding stopped and finally got the wife to stop calling me a dumb**s. But seeing how it happened at 10:00 tonight and I really don't want to pay the ER 3 to 4 hundered dollars for a few stitches I'm hoping my Doc can do it tommorow along with a titnus shot. Lesson learned be careful LOL.

Mike

IMG_1304.JPGIMG_1305.JPG

post-4953-1233551378_thumb.jpg

post-4953-1233551414_thumb.jpg

DUDE!! :jawdropper: looks like ya got a fish gill on the side of your finger :head_hurts_kr: ...i did a smaller version of that when i was cleaning my shears a few nights ago...and slid the rag down the slanted edge getting some glue off, well my finger slid over the top, with pressure and fillet it well...not quite as bad as yours but it was a good'un and bleed like a :censored2: ...dried it & superglued the flap ;0)

darryl

sorry about that.............."I DID THAT ONCE"

Thanks Luke I hope to only do it once! sodapop I thought about gluing it but it's pretty dang deep and I aint sure if it would good getting the glue down in there. But by the time I get in there tomorrow it may be to late to stitch. Such is life.

Mike

Thats a good one lol. Good thing it didnt go all the way thru and take a chunk as a souvenier

Wrap it up good and keep it moist and you may still get some stitches in it tomorrow morning if ya get it early.

Wade would like to know how did you get the wife to stop calling you names? I think he wants this information because of an incident this weekend involving ice fishing, an auger and a big knot on his head...;)

Johanna

an incident this weekend involving ice fishing, an auger and a big knot on his head... ;)

Johanna

:lol::lol::lol: What a great chuckle to start the day with! Thanks fer that!

And having been on the receiving end of many many many (ask my wife :0/) tool and sport related "malfunctions", yes I am allowed to laff at other's misfortunes ... so long as neither death or severed limbs are involved ;0)

The wife keeps her truck warmed up while I'm working with big tools ... for stitches runs ;0)

On a more serious note - this type of thing makes me very glad for the medical we've got north o the 49th - if I had to pay 3 or 400 for stitches, I don't think I'd have a roof over my head! ;0)

Edited by McJeep

Yeah...you just can't buy memories like that.

I have two just like it from learning the right way to use a head knife.

I'd definitely recommend getting it stitched up though. The one I didn't left a nice visible scar...the other is barely noticeable. Although chicks do dig scars.... :)

Edited by antipaladin

It has been said that scars are tatoos with better stories!

:NEWFUNNYPOST::NEWFUNNYPOST::NEWFUNNYPOST:

Well Greg when the finger heals a little I'll try and get it sharp enough to go through the bone too. LOL

Mike

For the record, it's "tetanus" not "titnus" ;)

My family always had HUGE July 4th picnics at my folks' farm in NJ. They had a tennis court, and each year the uncles, Dad, and Granddad would go out there and play. Trouble was, one side was against some woods where Dad would toss scrap lumber. Tim went to chase a ball that had gone long, tripped and sat on a nail. I couldn't tell how deep in it went, or if it only was at an angle (puncture wounds being kinda tricky) so off he went to the hospital while the rest of us carried on partying. He has never lived that one down.

Johanna

Just tell Wade to hang his head like a whupped dog and bleed everywhere. She had to quit talking so she could help clean up the blood.LOL

Well they finally got me in around noon today cost 25.00 bucks. But I'm pretty sure there will be a nice scar. It was obvious to me stitching is not my doctors strong point. He put two stitches in it about a half inch apart from each other. And the knots he tied where so big it looks like I got two big wads of thread on my finger. Oh well at least it's somewhat closed.

Mike

Oh... I forgot to mention in the sharpening thread... DON'T FORGET TO WEAR KEVLAR GLOVES!!!

:eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty::eusa_naughty:

Can't use that, it might dull the blade. Skin is much easier on knife blades but make sure you clean the blood off.

Johanna

Just tell Wade to hang his head like a whupped dog and bleed everywhere. She had to quit talking so she could help clean up the blood.LOL

Well they finally got me in around noon today cost 25.00 bucks. But I'm pretty sure there will be a nice scar. It was obvious to me stitching is not my doctors strong point. He put two stitches in it about a half inch apart from each other. And the knots he tied where so big it looks like I got two big wads of thread on my finger. Oh well at least it's somewhat closed.

Mike

Mike i cut myself bad bout a dozen years ago and stitched it up myself, scarred bad especialyy where all 3 stitches were, was kinda funny tho as i had customers in the shop while i was doing it. Greg

Sharp is the Airforce Medical Officers tongue lashing when they found out I once removed my own Post Op stitches with a head knife and a round awl.

Barra

wildrose

Thanks I knew I should of used sp ck LOL

Bree

I was kinda thinking that after the fact. But thanks anyway better late than never.

Tony

The hell with the blade. LOL I forgot just how many nerve ending there are in the end of your finger.

Greg

All I can say is that's takes some sack!! I would of screamed like a little girl and then had to change my britches!

barra

That's funny I probably would of cut myself with the head knife and then ran the awl through some body part. I always let my wife take my stitches out. But she uses scissors and tweezers.

Well I finally got everything in to sharpen my splitter blade. Boy was I happy I went over it with my stones and then used it. I then thought man this can be a little sharper so I wemnt to hone a little more and slipped. Well I bleed like a stuck hog all over the kitchen but I got the bleeding stopped and finally got the wife to stop calling me a dumb**s. But seeing how it happened at 10:00 tonight and I really don't want to pay the ER 3 to 4 hundered dollars for a few stitches I'm hoping my Doc can do it tommorow along with a titnus shot. Lesson learned be careful LOL.

Mike

IMG_1304.JPGIMG_1305.JPG

u need to keep a roll of black electrical tape handy, wash cut with antibacterial soap, dry completely an butterfly the cut shut with the tape than wrap a piece around to hold butterfly in place the glue from the tape will seal the cut no stitches required (old mechanic trick for battle wounds lol )

It sounds like you need to invite the doctor over for coffee and introduce him to double loop lacing. That would keep it closed and be fashionable!

It sounds like you need to invite the doctor over for coffee and introduce him to double loop lacing. That would keep it closed and be fashionable!

That would be awesome! :specool:

u need to keep a roll of black electrical tape handy, wash cut with antibacterial soap, dry completely an butterfly the cut shut with the tape than wrap a piece around to hold butterfly in place the glue from the tape will seal the cut no stitches required (old mechanic trick for battle wounds lol )

About 6 years ageo I cut my finger to the bone and taped it with electriacal tape, company then sent me to Doc. Everyone thought I was crazy for using elect. tape--until Doc. stabs herself while sewing my finger. She freaked out about my blood in her finger.(aids scare) I got her calmed down and told her to take a blood sample and send it off after she cleaned her finger real good. When all said and done I said to her that would not have happened if she would have used medical grade electrical tape!!

Ooh, nice one.

A great opportunity to get out the stitching pony and practice stitching one handed!

I have a place to do my leather work set up at my brothers cabinet shop and I used to get some flak from the workers about my odd looking tools and knives til I pointed out that all my cutting tools are designed to cut skin. A couple actually turned a funny shade of pale.

John.

When I want to touch up the blade on my Osborne splitter, I reverse the blade on the frame (like in the photo) and screw it down tight and it doesn't move. It stays right there, nice and secure.

Tony.

blade.JPG

post-5242-1237803519_thumb.jpg

OK, you ALL have convinced me. If I ever have to sharpen a splitter blade, I'm farming the job out to one of you pros.

(I had a medic from the 10st Airborne stitch up my wrist one time from a non-combat wound and that was enough for me!)