Freddo

Damaged Ruby Blade - What to do?

I recently purchased a used set of leather working tools. On the positive side, there was a ruby blade swivel knife in the set, on the negative side, there was a significant nick in the middle of the ruby portion of the blade.

I have a couple of questions:

• What is the ruby portion of the blade made of?
  • Are ruby blades discontinued?
  • How do you sharpen it? Just like any other swivel knife or is there a special process?
  • Can the ruby portion of the blade be changed? By the looks of it, it looks like an integral part of the knife, not something that can be swapped out.

can't do anything about it. It's a goner.

try a ceramic blade if you don't like metal.

I wouldn't switch. Just sold a Henley. LOVED the barrel but the ceramic wouldn't fit into it!

pete

If you send it to me, I'll see if I can sharpen it for you. Everyone thinks you can't sharpen a ceramic blade, but I,ve sharpened them after dropping mine on a concrete floor. I've never sharpened a ruby blade, but I believe I can. I engrave silver and use diamond impregnated wheels to sharpen my engraving bits. These wheels cut the ceramic just fine and I think would do the same to a ruby. Send me a PM and I'll give you my address.

Pete, you could have modified your Henley to take a ceramic blade and kept that great knife.

I recently purchased a used set of leather working tools. On the positive side, there was a ruby blade swivel knife in the set, on the negative side, there was a significant nick in the middle of the ruby portion of the blade.

I have a couple of questions:

• What is the ruby portion of the blade made of?

• Are ruby blades discontinued?

• How do you sharpen it? Just like any other swivel knife or is there a special process?

• Can the ruby portion of the blade be changed? By the looks of it, it looks like an integral part of the knife, not something that can be swapped out.

The ruby is REAL ruby (just grown in a lab, rather than in nature). The ruby blades are discontinued. If the nick is not too deep, someone who can facet gemstones can probably keep the same approximate angle & just facet it shorter (or, perhaps that person can facet a new one for you). I used to cut stones, but I never learned to facet- I only cut cabachons. Bottom line, if the ruby can't be re-faceted, it'd cost more to have a new one cut than to keep searching on ebay (& there's one up for bids right now, btw).

russ

Not to steal the thread....

TroyWest, you mind offering me the same?

I have a ruby blade as well. I also bought a used lot of tools a little while back, and there was one blade included, but the cutting tip was broken off kind of like it had been dropped. Attaching a pic so you can see what I am talking about and if you think you can do anything with it....

Ruby_Blade_001_crop_other_side.jpg

Ruby_Blade_004_crop.jpg

post-834-1228797197_thumb.jpg

post-834-1228797217_thumb.jpg

Yes, If you send it to me , I'll see what I can do. I dont need the knife, just the blade.

Troy

Hi Troy,

If you make it work I have one of my 2 blades that needs some sharpening...If you're interested please let me know:-)

OK so now I know what was meant by a ruby blade, I saw that one on ebay and was like what the heck. I didnt even realize it was a small portion of ruby used as the cutting edge. Thats really cool.

Anyone know why exactly they stopped making these?

Anyone know why exactly they stopped making these?

Cost vs. profit margin. Even though the rubies are synthetically grown, they are still relatively expensive. Then it has to be cut and shaped and epoxied to the blade base, etc...

Just got too expensive.

If you send it to me, I'll see if I can sharpen it for you. Everyone thinks you can't sharpen a ceramic blade, but I,ve sharpened them after dropping mine on a concrete floor. I've never sharpened a ruby blade, but I believe I can. I engrave silver and use diamond impregnated wheels to sharpen my engraving bits. These wheels cut the ceramic just fine and I think would do the same to a ruby. Send me a PM and I'll give you my address.

Pete, you could have modified your Henley to take a ceramic blade and kept that great knife.

Troy.....I think you're about to need a another manager............................. :evillaugh:

Edited by hidepounder

Well, so far it's only 2 swivel knife blades. How many can there really be out there?

Troy, it is three by my count. Freddo, Tina and Wolvie. That's upped your new business 50% already. Better clear out your schedule to make the time!

You're exactly right. Apparently I cant add. When you get into those big numbers, it just confuses me.

You're exactly right. Apparently I cant add. When you get into those big numbers, it just confuses me.

Troy, I don't think there are that many RubyAt blades still in use,................but ceramics...........................that's the real future for West International Blade & Knife Works! "Just a cut above"!

Edited by hidepounder

Troy, I don't think there are that many RubyAt blades still in use,................but ceramics...........................that's the real future for West International Blade & Knife Works! "Just a cut above"!

Well Bob,

You said that so well, you're my first choice for manager................. I can see it now, " Wild West Blade Works, this is Bob."

" Hello Bob, I've got a blade I need to sharpen. Have you ever used one of these things?"

" Well sure I have. I just make so much more money now that I'm a manager."

You can touch up a ceramic blade with a wet stone. I just got 2 from tandy and needed (as usual) to have a finish to them, Uses 800 then 1000 then 4000 grit japanese water stones now the bevel shines like a mirror.

4 Maybe, I just bought a used lot of tools from a saddler that is going out of business and was told there are several Ruby blades and several Cermaic blades in the lot and most of them need sharpening.

4 Maybe, I just bought a used lot of tools from a saddler that is going out of business and was told there are several Ruby blades and several Cermaic blades in the lot and most of them need sharpening.

Wild West Blade Works...we're just a cut above!....this is Bob, may I help you?

Edited by hidepounder

Quite possibly, I'll let you know how many when it all gets here.

I sharpen stuff for a living.

I have and do sharpen ceramic blades quite successfully.

I have posted a few times with the proceedure I use.

Mainly the use of aluminum oxide abrasives.

Chip repair and re-profiling can be accomplished with ceramic with some work.

I have never attempted a Ruby blade, but plan on giving it a shot the first opportunity.

I have a guild brother who has one but has not asked about sharpening it yet.

Allen

<<Has three ruby blades I would LOVE to have sharpened.

If you have any luck I would love to have them back in use again.