UKRay

An Unusual Sewing Machine Problem...

This past few days I've been experiencing an odd problem. As the thread (US size 207 or UK size 12s) comes off the spool it appears to be twisting and creating a 'twisted loop' that effectively 'pops' the thread out from between the tension plates, thus releasing the tension and causing a 'bunch of monkeys' to happen on the underside of my work

My big Highlead harness stitching machine has never done this before although I've been using this same spool of thread for months. I feel the problem is probably tension related but I can't seem to sort it out and wondered if anyone else had had this happen to them and discovered a cure.

Ray

Ray;

Assuming you haven't changed the thread path, or neglected to go through the pre-tension hole block, the thread itself may be the problem. Try stuffing some soft foam in the thread stand feed loop, above the spool, and feed the thread through it. This should even out the twisting as it moves through the foam. It will also add a touch of back tension. If that doesn't fix the problem, try running it through the lube pot with silicon lube, or Lax Wax (from Campbell-Bosworth).

If all else fails, replace the spool of thread. Or, loosen the top and bobbin tensions. Less tension on top means less chance the thread will pop out of the disks. Make sure the top thread loops around all of the holes in the pre-tension block or post.

Ray

I've found on our sole stitchers, that pulling the thread from the spool differently will impart a twist to the thread. It depends upon how the spool was originally wound.

If you have been drawing the thread from the spool as in the red arrow on pic (with spool rotating), without problems, then changing to drawing the thread off as green arrow (with spool stationary) will cause the thread to twist (or vice versa).

If you haven't changed the way the thread is drawn from the spool, please disregard this missive!

Terry

post-7199-093048600 1286323450_thumb.jpg

Ray;

Assuming you haven't changed the thread path, or neglected to go through the pre-tension hole block, the thread itself may be the problem. Try stuffing some soft foam in the thread stand feed loop, above the spool, and feed the thread through it. This should even out the twisting as it moves through the foam. It will also add a touch of back tension. If that doesn't fix the problem, try running it through the lube pot with silicon lube, or Lax Wax (from Campbell-Bosworth).

If all else fails, replace the spool of thread. Or, loosen the top and bobbin tensions. Less tension on top means less chance the thread will pop out of the disks. Make sure the top thread loops around all of the holes in the pre-tension block or post.

All great advice, Mr Wiz! I tried the 'foam in the hole' trick and it improved things a lot. Many thanks. Sadly the problem didn't completely go away...

I've found on our sole stitchers, that pulling the thread from the spool differently will impart a twist to the thread. It depends upon how the spool was originally wound.If you have been drawing the thread from the spool as in the red arrow on pic (with spool rotating), without problems, then changing to drawing the thread off as green arrow (with spool stationary) will cause the thread to twist (or vice versa).

Spot on, Terry. Thanks mate. I must have threaded the spool stand differently last time I changed thread colour. Doh... I can hardly believe that moving the thread to another hole less than 2" from the original could have such a huge effect; still, at least it was an easy fix in the end. I was dreading the engineer's bill. LOL

Ray