aleejelly

Newbie On The Lookout For A Sewing Machine For Bags

Hi there,

I'm very new to this whole industrial sewing machine thing and I'm hoping that you all can give me some advice.

What I want to do is sew small bags for rock climbing chalk with various weighted materials. Probably light leather, canvas or canvas-like material. Here's a google search to show what they're usually made of: https://www.google.com/search?q=chalkbag&safe=off&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US504&espv=210&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=sXTIUuv8EofukQe1tICYAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1264&bih=716&dpr=0.9

I want to emboss leather with my logo and then be able to sew them into the bags.

I don't have any major plans to do any extremely heavy duty leather sewing at this time, but I suppose it would be cool not to rule it out.

I have sewn on a straight stitch juki machine 8500 I believe, but I don't remember the motor type or speed.

I was hoping that you all could give me an idea of what kind of machines I should be looking at. I've found a few machines, specifically a Chandler CM406RB that is in my pricerange 400- 700 USD.... I'm also not sure if I could just go with a Juki 8700 and be fine since I'm not really planning on sewing very heavy duty stuff.

There's also this toyota sewing machine that I'm wary of because of the price: http://www.ebay.com/itm/INDUSTRIAL-STRENGTH-Sewing-Machine-HEAVY-DUTY-UPHOLSTERY-LEATHER-WALKING-FOOT-/360828470319

Any advice is welcome!

Look for a walking foot machine. They will give you more opportunities. Light to heavy. The 8700 looks like it can easily handle what you want. Reverse is useful.

Start picking out machines and search here in the main forum to start learning.

Or a normal sewing mssg board, since you are dealing with fabric.

Most of this forum is concerned with leather from light to very heavy weight.

But has a tremendous amount of knowledge here.

I am still learning from here.

Compound feed walking foot machine, with a cylinder arm at least 10.5" long, with reverse, capable of sewing 3/8 inch seams. Most machines in this category can handle thread up to #138 bonded nylon, or as thin as #46 bonded or #50 cotton. A good thread for your application might be Tex 80 jeans thread. I would recommend using a size 19 needle with this thread.

Do you need a cylinder arm machine? You can look at the 0797 series machines for low cost flatbed machines. Artisan, Cobra, and Cowboy all have them.

For cylinder arm machines I would look at a 227 machine. Will handle lighter weight thread and will work for medium leather sewing.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

I'm very new to this whole industrial sewing machine thing and I'm hoping that you all can give me some advice.

What I want to do is sew small bags for rock climbing chalk with various weighted materials. Probably light leather, canvas or canvas-like material. Here's a google search to show what they're usually made of: https://www.google.c...bih=716&dpr=0.9

I want to emboss leather with my logo and then be able to sew them into the bags.

I don't have any major plans to do any extremely heavy duty leather sewing at this time, but I suppose it would be cool not to rule it out.

I have sewn on a straight stitch juki machine 8500 I believe, but I don't remember the motor type or speed.

I was hoping that you all could give me an idea of what kind of machines I should be looking at. I've found a few machines, specifically a Chandler CM406RB that is in my pricerange 400- 700 USD.... I'm also not sure if I could just go with a Juki 8700 and be fine since I'm not really planning on sewing very heavy duty stuff.

There's also this toyota sewing machine that I'm wary of because of the price: http://www.ebay.com/...T-/360828470319

Any advice is welcome!

cylinder arm, walking foot machine would be best for this project. cylinder would help you sew inside the bags and into hard to reach areas.

techsew 2700, cowboy cb227r, i think artisan sells one too.

Edited by Techsew Ron

The Seiko CW/LSC, consew 227, Pfaff 335 techsew 2700 or cb227 are all in the same family and will nail this sort of work. Ideally it comes down to the location of a dealer who will give you ongoing technical support. Ronnie at Techsew, Steve at Cobra or Bob at Toledo have a vested interest in happy customers because if they let you down you can come here and complain about it. Keeping mind of course that most of us here know the difference between poor service and a poor customer :)