So the stuff is just short of impossible to locate any more and I was hoping I could come up with a formula to simulate it's effects, if nothing else. I used it mostly to accent my tooling, so does anyone have suggestions for ways to simulate the effects of antiquing stain?

So the stuff is just short of impossible to locate any more and I was hoping I could come up with a formula to simulate it's effects, if nothing else. I used it mostly to accent my tooling, so does anyone have suggestions for ways to simulate the effects of antiquing stain?

I'll be interested in seeing the replies to this. Only antique I can find is brown and I'd like to either find or create a black antique to use for heavy outlines on items that are dyed with other colors like blue, red, etc.

I've seen people use the minwax wood stains.You might try that....

I have been getting Fiebings Ant at HideCrafters and Zack White......

I have used this method...........

I have used Acrilic Craft paint and diluted

it down with water, apply like you would reg Ant, and wipe Quickley

"so EXPERIMENT FIRST"

post-1906-074580100 1291336726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley

Springfield Leather handles Fieblings Antique Stain in six different colors, including black, in at least two different sizes. They also handle the Antique Paste. I am sure there are a number of other suppliers that handle as well. They are great to work with, and will ship anywhere. Not sure where you have been looking.

Terry

I use DecoArt's staining and antiquing medium, mixed with any color acrylic paint I want. I got it at A.C.Moore for a buck and a half or so.

Springfield Leather handles Fieblings Antique Stain in six different colors, including black, in at least two different sizes. They also handle the Antique Paste. I am sure there are a number of other suppliers that handle as well. They are great to work with, and will ship anywhere. Not sure where you have been looking.

Terry

LOL...I obviously wasn't looking very hard. Mentioned in the local Tandy today and the manager Travis says, "oh you mean the 'Noir' Antique". Every other color was in English except the black. WTF?! HAHA @ myself

How about Fiebing's Hi Liter? When the leather is sealed and Hi-Lite is applied it leaves no color on the leather except the black in all groves, I use it alot:-)

Tell the Tandy manager to turn the bottle around and look at the other label.

Mentioned in the local Tandy today and the manager Travis says, "oh you mean the 'Noir' Antique". Every other color was in English except the black.

Ah, yes, another example of 'No Child Left Behind'.

Reminds me of an old 'Saturday Night Live' skit, where the immigrant shopkeeper is touting "xn7" dishwasher liquid- it's a bottle of Lux, upside down. :rofl:

LOL...you guys took that a bit wrong. Travis was giving me crap for being the dork that didn't turn the bottle around. :head_hurts_kr:

I had just been going through all of the colors to find the ones I wanted to mix a couple of new colors, like Burgundy and Ruby versus using tricks like medium antique over scarlet so my mind wasn't catching that it was simply backwards vs. being a fancy-schmancy name for a color. ;-)

Terry

Thanks for this Terrymac. I didn't realize how much I'd miss the old stains Tandy's used to carry until I started playing around with their new EcoFlo Gel Antique Stain product line. Everything seemed fine with the glop buffing off leaving a nice detail-catching tone until I started soaking the pieces in hot water to shape them (tophats with rolled rims). Long and short of it I don't want to sell products that after five minutes in the Texas summer sun will start to turn my clients' hair brown.