love this sight. just found it tonight and i think i have spent at least 5 hours reading before i joined and spent another couple of hours more!!!!!

i have a question. where do you guys get the gun forms for the different mdls when making the holsters? dont want to use my real ones for it.

thanks

Edited by medic442

love this sight. just found it tonight and i think i have spent at least 5 hours reading!!!!!

i have a question. where do you guys get the gun forms for the different mdls when making the holsters? dont want to use my real ones for it.

thanks

Google "Rings Blue Guns" and you will find lots of places.

thanks for the info!!!!! didnt some place sell the aluminum ones???? thought it might be a little cheaper. (wife says i am way toooo cheap!!!)

no beeter item to use to mold a holster(in my humble opinion) than the item itself. oil your gun up, and place it in a plastic bag.then you can mold your holster and it will be fine. if you are still worried, then you can always clean and reoil afterwards too. I too am a bit on the cheap side, and cant afford the cost of a blue gun, or an aluminum one.

Ok, here's a link I found that has virtually every type of "BLUE GUN" blank you could want. Handguns, Rifles, Machine Guns, knives. The site offers a huge selection of police issue weaponry for your holster making pleasure....

http://www.ondutygear.com/ringsblugguns.html

Another suggestion could be to use a vacuum seal bag (like you use to store things in the freezer) to seal the weapon from the moisture, then mold your holster over the vac bag. With the vacuum bag, you can still get the detail you want without harming the weapons finish. I'm working on a holster for an old handgun made in the 50's and you can't find a blank for it anywhere...

Troy

thanks again for the help and helpful hints!!! but i still want the aluminum ones. i did not want to admit to it before.... but i want to make a hybred leather kydex holster for my duty vest. (sorry for the plastic !!!!!) afaid the blue or red guns will melt or deform under the heat of forming.

so can you guy still point me in the right direction?

Edited by medic442

There are some makers that I noticed in their photos of their shops have a few aluminum guns, maybe they will chime in, HBE web site has a photo also maybe he will let you know by email. I think I read a much earlier thread pre crash of 08 that there are no mfg's at this time due to costs related to design and tooling to make them. Maybe you could make a plaster mold? That would hold up to the heat I think. Another option is a non fring replica from a mfg. I have seen some for around $80 online.

I still get updates on Duncan Guns for their aluminum guns. I'm just happy wiht Blue Guns for now.

The quality of the Duncan aluminum guns have went downhill lately and they take considerable cleanup to be useable. I use the blue guns and they work just fine. There are also red guns on the market but be careful, the word from the pro holster makers is they are not always to scale and have very sharp edges that can cut your leather. Another good site for holster making info is www.pistolsmith.com and look in the holster sub forum. Many of the top makers post to that forum.

John

Edited by gunfighter48

Here is where I get most of my forms. They offer Rings, ASP (red) and Blackhawk (new to the market but very good quality). Very good prices and very good customer service.

Elite Tatcial Services Looks like the site is having some problems right now.

The blue guns have not melted for me yet when doing kydex. You will get a little blue transfer when they are new, but I think it is paint because it stops coming off after a while.

Blue guns are available in black also

thanks, if the blue guns will take the heat of the kydex..... i am off to the races!!!!

thanks for all the info!!!

Edited by medic442

Stay away from the aluminum guns if you want a quality mold. They are very badly cast and are not of the original dimensions. Don't be cheap here. Don't ask me how I now :) I use Rings Blue guns and some ASP Red guns for the molding and do a final check with the real thing. Kydex, if done with the proper technique, will not harm your Blue Gun. Erik

Unless you have access to a vertical mill and a sander, stay away from the aluminum dummies. It takes at least an hour to clean up the aluminum dummy guns, and they are more expensive than the blue guns to start with. Tack on $40 an hour for shop time (if you can find someone willing to go to the trouble) an it starts to be an expensive venture.

As long as you are only heating ther kydex in the oven and bending it over your plastic mold after that, you should be fine. Just don't go crazy with the heat gun while the kydex is on your mold.