Tkleather1

Rare Earth Magnet?

So what the heck is the deal with the "rare earth magnet." I mean I hear this term thrown around alot and I am wondering how rare is this "rare earth magnet", and what makes this magent any better or different than any other magnet?

If these magnets are so darn "rare" then I suggest we stop using them. If we keep using them then we will run out of the "rare earth magnets" and the moon might loose its orbit, or the earth might loose its orbit from the sun, On second thought maybe we should use all of the "rare earth magnets" and that would cure our global warming problems as we drift farther from the sun, and maybe some of the southerners would move back to the southern state (the one that they said would fall into the ocean) and then my property taxes would go down up here in Washington.

Just a few thoughts

Tim Worley

TK-Leather

"disclaimer" I still like people from california, this is just for giggles. but I still dont know the difference between them and a regular old magnet hangin on the fridge holdin up some 4 year old artwork.

made me laugh...that's a good thing nowadays...

rare earth = high tech ceramic coated in metal...they break easy, and are bulkier, but magnetically stronger. They can pinch your fingers to the point of pain.

Hi Tim,

I use "Rare Earth Magnets" quite often. I believe the "Rare Earth" nickname comes from the materials they are made out of either Neodymium, SmCo Samarium Cobalt, Ceramic, or N50/N52 the strongest "Rare Earth" material. As an example a 1/2" x 1/4" disc in Neodymium 42 has a pull force of 14lbs, while the same size in N50/N52 will have a pulling force of 17lbs. Compare those to a regular cast iron, or nodular iron magnet, which will have a pulling force of less than 5lbs. If you want more info,,, you can find it here: https://www.magnet4less.com/

I hope this helps some,,, Ed

Also a band formed around 1968, noted for their versions of "Get Ready" and "I Just Want To Celebrate".

Neither song contains rare earth elements, thus allowing these elements to be used in very strong magnets. whistle.gif

haha thanks guys, I know I could have googled it but I wanted to hear about em from my friends. anyway just pondering and figured I would make an attempt at some humor.

Thanks for the info

made me laugh...that's a good thing nowadays...

rare earth = high tech ceramic coated in metal...they break easy, and are bulkier, but magnetically stronger. They can pinch your fingers to the point of pain.

Yes I dispise them, I used to use them as tie downs for stop motion puppets quicker than having to drill holes in the floor for when the puppet had to walk across the floor but I always used to get my fingers pinched by the darn things.

Tim,

Your humor wasn't lost.. :lol: I was trying a little as well with the "google as friend". The article also had a good explanation of the types that Ed discussed as well. I have used them for all sorts of things in wood including some jigs, positioning devices/stops, various boxes w/o clasps and even several guitar pick boxes where they had contrasting woods that allowed the magnets to be totally hidden and a quick twist revealed the picks within.

Regards,

Ben

Here's another good source for them. I have used this company a number of times.

They only deal in the magnets and have some really cool shapes and can even custom make them if needed.

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/

if you were local, i'd say take a trip to all electronics(L.A.), but, since your not... you might want to give K&J magnetics a try, they have just about everything you could think of, and various mounting methods....

K&J magnetics link

eric

p.s.... i thought this was going to be a post about 'get ready' or 'celebrate'...