ruthless

Can anyone help me choose the right machine?

I'd like a machine that will sew two pieces of leather with chunky stitching. Like this [which was hand saddlestitched]

3108604929_6b6c346d16.jpg

I'd also like to be able to sew handbags someday. I've been in contact with someone in Australia who sells Cowboy machines and he recommended a 7441AE, but it's very expensive. He said my budget option is a Master 105.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Hi Ruteless,

I have a singer 45k, cylinder bed machine this type of machine will do what you want easily,

mine is old and does not have reverse but you can work around that, the problem I have is it is to fast for me, I am going to fit a servo motor

and a speed reducing pulley, in Australia the real good ones from a dealer are selling for about $1200-$1800.

These machines are built like a tank, they are almost impossible to break,

If you only want a flat bed then a 132 k6 would also do the job being a flat bed it is just a bit less versatlie

Edited by china

You will definitely need some form of heavy duty stitcher to do this type of work. The Cowboy 441 clone and the 105 are good machines, and they work quite well for this type of work. The only other option would be to find a used machine like the Singer 45K, or maybe an older used Adler or something of this nature. But, the price of the Adler and Singer machines can cost almost as much as a Cowboy machine is new.

You will definitely need some form of heavy duty stitcher to do this type of work. The Cowboy 441 clone and the 105 are good machines, and they work quite well for this type of work. The only other option would be to find a used machine like the Singer 45K, or maybe an older used Adler or something of this nature. But, the price of the Adler and Singer machines can cost almost as much as a Cowboy machine is new.

What makes this need such a heavy duty machine? Looks like Artisan 618 class or I'm sure you have very similar size or the Cobra class 17 or 18 should easily do that thickness of leather. Or, am I missing something? Or, does it simply need a cylinder arm?

Regis

What makes this need such a heavy duty machine? Looks like Artisan 618 class or I'm sure you have very similar size or the Cobra class 17 or 18 should easily do that thickness of leather. Or, am I missing something? Or, does it simply need a cylinder arm?

Regis

It is not the thickness of the leather. It is the size of the thread. The Cobra Class 17 and 18, and the Artisan 618 will at most handle a size 207 thread. And even the size 207 thread is really pushing the limits of what those machines are capable of. We also sell machine like the 618 and class 17 and 18, and these machines struggle with a 207 thread.

The bigger machines like the 441 and 105 and others will handle a much larger size of thread.

The thickness of the material is prety thin, but the size of the thread (chunky) would mandate that a larger machine capable of handling the thick thread be used.

Ryan,

Thanks a lot for clearing that up. ' just couldn't see the problem and now I understand.

Regis

I'd like a machine that will sew two pieces of leather with chunky stitching. Like this [which was hand saddlestitched]

3108604929_6b6c346d16.jpg

I'd also like to be able to sew handbags someday. I've been in contact with someone in Australia who sells Cowboy machines and he recommended a 7441AE, but it's very expensive. He said my budget option is a Master 105.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Do youself a really huge favor.

take some material you use and go try some machines. take the spool of thread you want to use too. same for those handbags you plan on making in the someday. find/get some of the leather you plan on using including the threads.

if you cant afford one now, save you pennies until you can get what you need. if you dont, you will always kick youself for buying the lesser machine.

alot of people dont have the $$$ to do it right the first time, but they will come up with the $$$ to do it twice.

Edited by $$hobby

I would have to agree, it is better that you save up tp get the right machine for the job, rather than skimp and end up buying what you should have bought in the first place.

Some great advice here, thanks :)

Part of the problem is I don't know if there's a store in Sydney where I can walk in and look at different machines and talk to someone in the know. Birdsalls only sell the Tipman Boss. The guy I've been in contact with is in Queensland, which is making it really hard for me to make my mind up. He's being very patient and helpful!

I can get the more expensive one if you all reckon it's the right one for the job. Trying it out first would be a BIG plus though.

If availability limits your choices, get the most machine you can. It's better to have an over powered machine that'll stitch dang near anything, and use only a portion of it's potential than it is to get a smaller machine that strains to do what you need. You never know, you might end up making tack, too.

Cylinder arm......absolutely unnecessary for collars. Very handy for bags. If you get a cylinder arm, you can get/make a flatbed attachment for it. You can't shrink down a flatbed for times you NEED a cylinder arm.

Buy new if at all possible. If you have to get a used one...well, privately owned machines may not have as much mileage, but also may not have much maintenance. Used factory equip will have more mileage, but are likely to have been well maintained.

Some great advice here, thanks :)

Part of the problem is I don't know if there's a store in Sydney where I can walk in and look at different machines and talk to someone in the know. Birdsalls only sell the Tipman Boss. The guy I've been in contact with is in Queensland, which is making it really hard for me to make my mind up. He's being very patient and helpful!

I can get the more expensive one if you all reckon it's the right one for the job. Trying it out first would be a BIG plus though.

im not sure how much air/train fair is from your local to Queensland, but it could be worth it to make the trip. You can also do some research to find other shops/machines in the Queensland area to see/try what they have.

also, look for any leather/tack trade shows in your area. even if you have to wait for a year for the next one, you could be saving $$$ for the machine.

I have a Cobra Class 3 and it has been great. I knew absolutely nothing about sewing machines before I got the first one sold. Needless to say with Steve’s customer service and patience with a beginner I am glad to say I feel pretty confident with using it now. Here is the link if you want to check the Cobra’s out http://www.leathermachineco.com/ .

We have an agent in Australia that sells our Cowboy Brand machines. He sells them under the brand name of Master. The man's name is Jim Beaton. He also posts on this forum quite a bit. He has over 45 years experience in the leather industry. His customer service is the best in Australia. If you would like his contact information, please let me know and I can send it to you. Or, you can look him up on the forum by searching under Cowboy Sewing Machines.

Hope this is of some help to you.

That's who I've been dealing with. He's great, really helpful, just not in Sydney!

Ruth, hi, :wavey: have you thought about going into a saddlery or a boot maker to see if they have machines? If you tell them you're thinking about buying one hopefully someone will be helpful enough to let you see and maybe even try one out.