Flattracker

Use Un-Threaded Sewing Machine To Punch Holes?

Is this done, it sounds like it could save some time hand stitching? When I visited a sewing machine shop at the weekend I showed the guy a hand-stitched wallet I made for myself so he started talking about "tricks of the trade" So his point was as an option to use a sewing machine and feed the wallet through it without thread so the needle punches the holes through 2 or 3 layers of veg tan. You then have the holes and it's ready to hand saddle stitch!! Errrr, does this work? It sounds great & equally bad to me! Thanks Rich

Well, ,uhhmm.. yeah, that would work. But if you're running it through a machine, why not put thread in the machine??!!

I've used it with a 211 Singer and a UL and in both cases it has served me well. I punch these 'pilot holes' with an awl as I go and I can go very fast and not concentrate as much and get a top notch result.

Well, ,uhhmm.. yeah, that would work. But if you're running it through a machine, why not put thread in the machine??!!

Just a guess, but maybe he prefers the saddle stitch to the lockstitch of a machine.

I use my machine to punch holes prior to saddle stitching, but even with the leather foot on it I still have to put something under it to keep it from marking up the leather so it is a bit of a struggle.

I don't do it very often, . . . but there are times that I do, . . . and yessir, . . . it does work.

If I did it a lot, . . . I'd put in a smaller needle, . . . then punch the awl through for the final sewing hole.

It makes it look better if you do that, . . . but mostly only leatherworkers will note the difference.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yeah it's an interesting one. I've been saddle stitching small pieces for the last 2 years and do really like the look of hand-stitched. I've made a couple of bags as well and especially on the way a tote is made, you never see the hand stitching turned inside out so what's the point! so have been looking into sewing machines the last couple of weeks. When I hand stitch though I prefer punching the holes out with a really nice 5 hole punch I found (smaller than the Tandy one) than doing the pricking wheel, awl, pony way. I get much straighter saddle stitch lines my way. The problem though arises sometimes with wallets, in getting the punched holes to line up with more than 2 layers of leather, it's not a real problem as it mostly all works out fine (with a lot of accuracy) but when I heard about this method with the un-threaded sewing machine needle it sparked up the thought that, especially with more than 2 layers of leather, it could be a much quicker way of getting the holes pierced, all in line, and then open them up a bit more with an awl if needed. Then I can give the wallet a hand saddle stitched finish with my waxed linen thread.

Hi again, do you think this method might be possible on a manual sewing machine with the right type needle as long as the work wasn't too thick or would it need to be done on an electric machine?

Hi again, do you think this method might be possible on a manual sewing machine with the right type needle as long as the work wasn't too thick or would it need to be done on an electric machine?

No reason one way or the other. If you are used to running an electric machine slow enough to go around corners, I'd go electric. They both do the same thing.

Tom

I occasionally use my Cowboy CB4500 to punch holes for tiny rivets along the edges. I set the stitch length to maximum (1/2"), change to a #27 needle, set the edge guide the correct distance from the edge and let the machine punch the holes.

This works with the very small Tandy rivets. A round point needle makes a better hole, but produces more friction. So, I spray silicon on the needle if I hear it squeak.