katsass

Where can I get 1/4" thick felt?

Looking for a small (1-2 square feet) of 1/4 inch thick felt. I only use it to dye the edges of leather prior to finishing but the only thing I can find lately that works are the felt polishing wheels for Dremel tools.....and not too many of them. One square foot would meet my needs for quite a while. Thanks, Mike

Edited by katsass

You know Katsass I've been looking for the same felt to be used in the same manner but I never once throught about a "carpet store". Getting old is hell......

That's why this forum is so great - it helps us old guys remember stuff we shouldn't have forgotten.

Thanks.....

You know Katsass I've been looking for the same felt to be used in the same manner but I never once throught about a "carpet store". Getting old is hell......

That's why this forum is so great - it helps us old guys remember stuff we shouldn't have forgotten.

Thanks.....

Chuck and Tim, Thanks to you both! I'll try the 'carpet store' first....there's one or two still functioning around here that "Lowes" and "Home Depot" haven't run out of the area. If the felt isn't as firm as I like I'll go to McMaster's. They do have exactly what I want in the right quantity. Again thanks to both of you.

Tom, Tell me about lost memory? I do mostly leather work, but once in a while I do some scrimshaw pistol grips, (for those that know what real scrim is.) and some repair on 'older' firearms. I also like to shoot a little trap now and then as well as pistol shooting......they both give me a chance to show off some of the current leather and scrim work, but not much of my steady hand or keen eye. The other week I went to the range for some trap shooting, being that we were in a 'cool' spell of only the low 90s. (I live in the damn desert so my Doc gives me some of meds that screw with me in heat and sunlight) I took the '40s vintage Model 12 Winchester out and damned if I didn'r run my set! I was so tickled that when it was time to go, I loaded the car, got in, cranked it up and looked out just to see my son standing there with......my shotgun. Forgot the damn thing, but the case was in the car! I have figured out that my brains are in my butt. I'll get up to go do something or get something, take ten steps and stop because I forgot what I was doing. But if I sit down real quick I usually jar my fanny into jogging the memory path back to what I was doing and can get up again and get going. I get up and down a lot! Thanks again to all, have yourselves a great day!! Mike

Looking for a small (1-2 square feet) of 1/4 inch thick felt. I only use it to dye the edges of leather prior to finishing but the only thing I can find lately that works are the felt polishing wheels for Dremel tools.....and not too many of them. One square foot would meet my needs for quite a while. Thanks, Mike

i just p/u some wool/felt shoe/boot insoles. my cousin sold them in her store so i just bought them from her. i didnt need alot of the material tho so an insole worked.