DoubleC

Making Templates For Designs

4 years ago, I bought two Victorian embossed leather seats online for a slipper chair I got for a buck. Of course I didn't do anything intelligent like measure the seat and back diameter first. The embossed leather was too small. Well honestly it was in too poor of shape to really use to support anything, too so I decided to use them as wall hangings. I stuck them back in closet and forgot about them until they practically fell on my head a few days ago. I was just standing there looking at them when my mind flashed back, well let's just say a LONG time ago when I did some grave rubbings through a university class as a high school student. When you get old your mind can remember way back, just not yesterday. I also have an old saddle in the basement I bought online specifically because the carving was so beautiful. However on the right side it had been left SOMEWHERE with water dripping on it or slung on that side in a puddle, and just left. So the seat on that side wasn't attached, and that fender had copper rivets all down it where someone started using it again and was trying to keep the fender on where it had rotted.

Anyway, both pieces are beautiful, the seats have a shield with a bird inside holding a sword that has a helmet slung over it, and has other more traditional Victorian designs like ribbons, and it has a column that goes around the circle, etc. I had intended to fix the saddle up a little at a time but got one that looks brand new and fit my little chubby hobby horse really well for $50.00, that I researched online and found out was the saddle from the King Series started sets. May not be a Billy Cook, but a really nice saddle for the kind of riding I do.

So I sent an email to friend of mine to see if he still had the paper you make templates out of, and told him about the grave rubbing idea, and have rice paper on the way. Have any of you ever used this technique for a design? Thanks, Cheryl