CGish

Pig Rings And Tool.

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year,

My wife purchased a set of vintage tools for me for Christmas, and these two boxes of pig rings and the installation pliers were part of the kit. I remember dad using these when I was young, when he put pigs out in a dirt lot. Can anyone tell me what they are used for in leather work? Ornamentation?

Thank you to everyone who post information and ideas on the forum. Being completely new to working with leather, I have had a great time looking through the posts and learning.

Cody

post-27599-074026900 1325349543_thumb.jp

My experience other than using for the "pigs", is sometimes in upholstering the seats on an auto. They could be used for a multitude of "holding" needs.

ferg

My wife purchased a set of vintage tools for me for Christmas, and these two boxes of pig rings and the installation pliers were part of the kit. I remember dad using these when I was young, when he put pigs out in a dirt lot. Can anyone tell me what they are used for in leather work? Ornamentation?

Thank you to everyone who post information and ideas on the forum. Being completely new to working with leather, I have had a great time looking through the posts and learning.

Cody

Hi Cody,

Don't know what use for leatherwork. You install them on (not in the septum like a bull) a pigs nose to keep them from rooting. They can still do most everything, but the rings keep them from digging with their snouts. Big boars sometimes require two or three of them. Sometimes this is a requirement if you are letting them forage on government land.

Art

Cody

The hog rings are used in upholstery work on car seats. Using them on a pigs nose must be considered cruel!

My experience other than using for the "pigs", is sometimes in upholstering the seats on an auto. They could be used for a multitude of "holding" needs.

ferg

Ah, I know someone who does upholstering. I will see if he can use them. On a side note, I appreciated your post about the difference between Columbus and Cincinnati Tandy stores. I was planning to go to Cincinnati and on to Jungle Jim's, but after reading the post you started I went to Columbus instead. The gentleman who assisted me was very helpful, and I came home with 75 sq ft of hide out of the 1.99 stack. Not premium leather, I know, but it will be great to practice and learn on - thank you.

______

Don't know what use for leatherwork. You install them on (not in the septum like a bull) a pigs nose to keep them from rooting. They can still do most everything, but the rings keep them from digging with their snouts. Big boars sometimes require two or three of them. Sometimes this is a requirement if you are letting them forage on government land.

Art

I remember - it is amazing what a pig can destroy with their snout. :)

______

The hog rings are used in upholstery work on car seats. Using them on a pigs nose must be considered cruel!

Maybe, but letting them destroy things (like the neighbor’s corn field as they have no respect for property lines), or be killed on the road because their rooting destroyed the fence, is not responsible ownership either.

Cody

Hog rings are also used on the bottom of chain-link fences to tie the "mesh" to a #9 or so wire next to the ground. The wire is stretched tight between corme posts and keeps the bottom of the chain-link straight (and helps to keep kids and animals from squeezing under).

I've used them on car seat covers too since most don't fit or stay in place properly. There are still a few hiding around here somewhere.