amuckart

What's A Beaten-Up 7-Class Worth?

Hi all,

Someone up north of me is trying to sell a couple of 7-class Singers, a 7-9 and a 7-5. Neither looks to be in great condition based on the photos but they're trying to get a lot more than I think they're worth for them. I'm keen to make an offer on one or both of them but I'm wondering if my gut instinct of what to offer is actually reasonable.

I'd be very interested to hear what more experienced minds than mine think a reasonable offer for these would be. The 7-5 is a head only and has a broken tension spring. The 7-9 is on a table, which I don't particularly want, and apparently goes. Whether this means it actually sews or it turns over and doesn't have any obviously broken bits I don't know.

The 7-5

7-5.jpg

The 7-9

7-9.jpg

Thanks.

post-13283-127113251879_thumb.jpg

post-13283-127113252203_thumb.jpg

Years ago(20-3-) that's all we used to sell for a leather machine were 7-9 &7-34

they don't feed the best but seem to get the job done most of the time except if you want to reline a saddle the feed system in them isn't good enough to pull it through.

We'd pay 3-500 US for them clean paint put parts,table,motor,reducer & even reverse in them & sell them f/$1,850.00

And at that price we didn't make alot of $$ but sold a bunch of them.

But with the new imports that sew 3/4" out of the box we can't sell them anymore.

Most psrts are still available for them too.

Good Luck!

Bob

The days of the 7 class have all but gone. It used to be a first class leather machine in the '80s and into the '90s, but has been all but replaced by the 441. I have seen museum condition 7s go (or actually not go) for $1200. I have seen one, not museum quality but with reverse and running really well with motor and table, go for $800. As a collector (I am actually more into featherweights now) I would give $100 apiece for those heads, realizing I would have a pile of work ahead of me (I'd maybe go $300 for the pair and then maybe I wouldn't). As a user looking for a leather machine, I would simply pass. There is just a lot better out there especially in the feed category, multiple layers of anything can be a problem, and you can do better.

Art

Hi all,

Someone up north of me is trying to sell a couple of 7-class Singers, a 7-9 and a 7-5. Neither looks to be in great condition based on the photos but they're trying to get a lot more than I think they're worth for them. I'm keen to make an offer on one or both of them but I'm wondering if my gut instinct of what to offer is actually reasonable.

I'd be very interested to hear what more experienced minds than mine think a reasonable offer for these would be. The 7-5 is a head only and has a broken tension spring. The 7-9 is on a table, which I don't particularly want, and apparently goes. Whether this means it actually sews or it turns over and doesn't have any obviously broken bits I don't know.

The 7-5

7-5.jpg

The 7-9

7-9.jpg

Thanks.

Thank you gentlemen for the replies. Given that the guy's trying to get NZ$1800 each for them, I doubt he's going to be amenable to my offer, but we'll see.

Bob, do you know how easy/expensive it would be to get a couple of the bobbin winders for these and a replacement spring for the 7-5?

What I want to do is restore one or both of them and then find an original pedal base to mount one on :)

Art, funny you should mention featherweights, they're great little machines. I have five of them on my bench at the moment.

The 7-9 would be the best one to but since it has a walking foot.

Which spring do you need?

Bobbin winders aren't a problem.I'd take some featherweights in on trade for a couple of bobbinwinders!!

As we all know I would much rather buy a Featherweight & have to carry it than a 7class!

Bob

Bob actually has his forklift follow him around, his name is Bob Jr. I have one of those too, his name is Paul, who I have seen pick up a 441, on a stand with motor, but he grunts when he picks up one of those strap splitters. Those days are gone for me.

Art

The 7-9 would be the best one to but since it has a walking foot.

Which spring do you need?

Bobbin winders aren't a problem.I'd take some featherweights in on trade for a couple of bobbinwinders!!

As we all know I would much rather buy a Featherweight & have to carry it than a 7class!

Bob

Art, It sure is great having someone that can lift more than you around huh? When my son gets a 441 ready he tells me to just stay out of the way & he opens the box dumps em out carries to the bench just like I did when he was little.

I tell him like the old timers told me it'll lifting heavy stuff will make an old man out of you I guess they're right.

I do still carry 2 at a time though.

FEATHERWEIGHTS!!

Bob