Hello. We got a couple older Bona Allen saddles today. One is very old, it was the womans grandfathers who passed away 30 years ago. They found it in a trunk. The other seems newer but not new :) She said her Grandfather showed in it. They both have Bona Allen stamps. The one I think is newer has Sweetwater Texas.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about them. I haven't cleaned them up yet. They have been sitting for quite a while. I think the very old one will show up first in the pics. It is the one with the rounded skirt.

Thanks.

post-31233-093821100 1336347197_thumb.jp

post-31233-086699300 1336347217_thumb.jp

post-31233-020288400 1336347254_thumb.jp

post-31233-032821500 1336347280_thumb.jp

post-31233-065568400 1336347293_thumb.jp

post-31233-001926700 1336347311_thumb.jp

Hello. We got a couple older Bona Allen saddles today. One is very old, it was the womans grandfathers who passed away 30 years ago. They found it in a trunk. The other seems newer but not new :) She said her Grandfather showed in it. They both have Bona Allen stamps. The one I think is newer has Sweetwater Texas.

Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about them. I haven't cleaned them up yet. They have been sitting for quite a while. I think the very old one will show up first in the pics. It is the one with the rounded skirt.

Thanks.

Here is some information I found about Bona Allen.

Bonaparte Allen establiblished the company in Buford, Georgia in 1873. When he died in 1926, I think he left the company to his employees. The company was sold to Tandy corp., makers of TexTan saddles, around 1970 and moved to Sweet Home, Texas. For several years the saddle-making went dormant. At some point in the late 80's or early 90's, it was sold to Foxwood of Illinois.

Here is some information I found about Bona Allen.

Bonaparte Allen establiblished the company in Buford, Georgia in 1873. When he died in 1926, I think he left the company to his employees. The company was sold to Tandy corp., makers of TexTan saddles, around 1970 and moved to Sweet Home, Texas. For several years the saddle-making went dormant. At some point in the late 80's or early 90's, it was sold to Foxwood of Illinois.

Ok, thank you. I did find some numbers on the "newer" saddle if they mean anything. I am sure they do, I just don't know what :)

They are I369, looks like the letter I not the number one.

Thanks.

Ok, thank you. I did find some numbers on the "newer" saddle if they mean anything. I am sure they do, I just don't know what :)

They are I369, looks like the letter I not the number one.

Thanks.

The bottom number is the month and year of production and the serial number. So it was made 10th month of 74. The top number is model number.

The bottom number is the month and year of production and the serial number. So it was made 10th month of 74. The top number is model number.

That is good to know, thanks :) I wish I could find something out on the dark brown one. I know it is really old. I can't find any numbers on it. I have looked everywhere I can think of.

The style of the round skirted saddle was popular thro the 50's and 60's. I rode in one for 5 hours and nary a complaint.