Kymberly

Types Of Leather

I don't know much about different types of leather as I've only just started leather working. I purchased some leather (photos below) which is rather thick and it feels like it's been coated with plastic. It cost me £35 per piece. I bought it to make a leather ladies bag but it's not great to work with and I'm regretting my choice. Is this considered a cheap leather? When I bought it the fella said it was Italian leather and from the belly. I don't know if that's bad or good. If anyone had some advice on this I'd appreciate it!

Thanks

Kim

post-58453-0-92870300-1421510317_thumb.j

Belly is very pappy and will stretch, we use it in the saddlery trade as scrap basically for linings, anything that needs backing and is out of sight it is a poorer quality hide BUT in leather goods such as you are going to use it for it might be passable!

It's good to practice on and make a mock up with, are you trying to make a soft type bag or a firmer,thicker leather bag?

Oz

Belly is very pappy and will stretch, we use it in the saddlery trade as scrap basically for linings, anything that needs backing and is out of sight it is a poorer quality hide BUT in leather goods such as you are going to use it for it might be passable!

It's good to practice on and make a mock up with, are you trying to make a soft type bag or a firmer,thicker leather bag?

Oz

Hi Oz,

I'm a bit confused because this leather is so thick and is hard to bend. It looks like it's been treated with some kind of a plastic surface. When I use it I have to skive a lot off underneath in order to stitch (unless I saddle stitch areas).

I'm wondering if the person who said it was from the belly was wrong. Maybe I should post some close up photos showing the underneath and edges?

as humperdingle has said, it maybe a split, it's a good way of using scrap up in the tannery!

People use it all the time for leathergoods.

Try and show us more photos, it's very hard to see sometimes though unless we have the leather in our hands so we can feel it too.

Oz :)

Hi all,

Thanks for helping me with this! I've taken some more photos (just trying to figure out how to add them to this post).

I'd like to know if this cut is considered cheap leather. I can't afford really good leather yet but I'd like to get something in-between while I'm learning.

Kym :-)

Hi all,

Ok, here are some more photos. What do you think?

post-58453-0-74729500-1421681843_thumb.jpost-58453-0-48647000-1421681848_thumb.jpost-58453-0-27131200-1421681853_thumb.jpost-58453-0-85331300-1421681855_thumb.jpost-58453-0-89800500-1421681857_thumb.jpost-58453-0-34194900-1421681861_thumb.j

It 'looks' like a split/PU to me (From the pics).

I got some a while back - a huge bit! On retrospect, I should have bought something 'better', or at least a smaller piece of something better.

Where in UK are you?

It might be a patent leather - which means it is highly coated to create a shine.

Hi all,

Thanks... not sure I'll be buying much of it again. I think it's not bad for ladies bags (using it for some sections) but I made a wallet and it just looked like cheap plastic. :-(

Kym

It 'looks' like a split/PU to me (From the pics).

I got some a while back - a huge bit! On retrospect, I should have bought something 'better', or at least a smaller piece of something better.

Where in UK are you?

I'm in the Richmond, Surrey area... and you?

Not far from me, I'm in Surrey too, Oz

I'm in the Richmond, Surrey area... and you?

Sunny (!) Scotland!

Shame about the leather. It's an expensive enough hobby as it is, but spending on leather we won't use is a pain. Put it on ebay? Maybe recoup some of the cash.