Sign in to follow this  
filluptieu

Just bought a Singer 15-91! what should I do next? help please

I just purchased a Singer Model 15-91 from ebay. Here are some pictures of it.

371825237.jpg

371825238.jpg

371825236.jpg

I believe that is all it comes with.

Now just to start, I am a novice when it comes to sewing machines, especially setting one up for light leather work. I know how to use a regular sewing machine on cloth and thats about it.

My plans for this machine is to have it sew on a 13 inch zipper to a 3-4 oz piece of leather. And thats a single piece of leather. Maybe even stitch two 4 oz pieces together.

My question as follows:

1) I know with these older machines the grease tends to build up and needs to be clean and regressed, So should I go ahead and take it do a sewing machine shop to have it tuned up?

2) I know I need to buy leather needles but which ones should I be using for the leather work I plan on doing?

3) Whats a good solid thread that wont break easily on me, and is good on leather?

4) Is there any other modifications I should do so that the machine wont completely crap out on me right away?

Thanks Guys! Any advice would be awesome!

Also, what should this thing be worth? and how much would it sell for?

Hi filluptieu, hope all is well. The Singer 15-91 is one of many great sewing machines that Singer made. I didn't see a portable case or cabinet, which you will need to use the machine properly. Your best bet is to take it to a reputable dealer so they can do the work that needs to be done. Depending on how sophisticated the shop is, they should have the correct needles, and thread that you will need. There is a Schmetz leather point needle for home machines and different weight threads as well. You are pusing it though if you want to sew 2 4oz. pieces of leather together, it will do it but for how long? Hope this helps. Thank you, Steve

Hi filluptieu, hope all is well. The Singer 15-91 is one of many great sewing machines that Singer made. I didn't see a portable case or cabinet, which you will need to use the machine properly. Your best bet is to take it to a reputable dealer so they can do the work that needs to be done. Depending on how sophisticated the shop is, they should have the correct needles, and thread that you will need. There is a Schmetz leather point needle for home machines and different weight threads as well. You are pusing it though if you want to sew 2 4oz. pieces of leather together, it will do it but for how long? Hope this helps. Thank you, Steve

Thanks steve for your input! can you explain why a cabinet or a case is needed? can it not just sit on a desk? and the 2 pieces of 4 oz leather its more like 3 oz and is only 5 inches long.

filluptieu, you need a case or cabinet because the machine will vibrate, and move while you sew. Thanks, Steve

If you plan to use this machine to sew a zipper to 3-4 ounce leather, it will be working it to death. You should look at at an industrial machine. This is a home machine. Lots of folks on Ebay sell home machines and clain that they can do an industrial machine's job.

If you plan to use this machine to sew a zipper to 3-4 ounce leather, it will be working it to death. You should look at at an industrial machine. This is a home machine. Lots of folks on Ebay sell home machines and clain that they can do an industrial machine's job.

really? hmm i plan on doing about 4 zippers a month. will this still be a problem?

Are you sewing a single layer of the 3-4 ounce leather, or two layers? What size of thread do you plan to use? Most home sewing machines really can't handle anything larger than 69, or 92 at the absolute largest.

As Steve said, when you take a machine that was designed predominantly for the garment trade and use it for sewing leather, it is only a matter of time till something pops.

It could be that this machine could work well for you if you only plan on using it very sparingly, with light thread, and only plan on sewing one layer of 3-4 ounce.

If however, you have need for a larger thread, start using the machine more than 3-4 times a month, and use it to sew heavier than one layer of 3-4 ounce, then most likely something will go out.

We get calls constantly from folks on Ebay that have bought old home sewing machines and find out later that they can't handle the thickness of the material or the size of thread that the operator needs. Sometimes people pay $300.00-$400.00 for these home machines.

In the end, they might have been better off to save the money and get a full blown industrial machine.

This of course, is just my two cents worth. If you plan to use the machine sparingly, then it may work out well for you.

Edited by neelsaddlery