patches

Stitch Length On Singer 111W151-Need Advice

Ok, so I have read everything I can find on setting stitch length on this machine. I am still not sure of myself. The good news this machine sews beautifully. It is sewing 7 stitches per inch. The stitch length indicator is in the blank area between the longest setting and the shortest setting when the plunger is depressed and locks in. With the plunger depressed the balance wheel will not turn at all. First, do I understand correctly that I should be able to turn the balance wheel with the plunger depressed to set stitch length. Second, if yes, what do I loosen to make this happen. I was thinking the set screw in top of the stitch indicator but it is soooo tight I was afraid I was not going in the right direction. Thanks for any help.

Do you have 2 buttons on the base plate of the machine? Sounds like you pre pressing the button to lock the shaft after the safety clutch releases. If there is a second button, press it while turning the pullet towards you until it locks down. Then while holding it down, turn the pulley back and forth to set the stitch length.

Tom

There are two buttons. The one I am pushing is the one closest to the bobbin housing.

The stitch length regulation happens on the underside of the machine. I guess your regulator is stuck because of old oil deposits or so. There are two "wheels", one is the one for the plunger and the other rubs on it when you regulate the stitch length. These 2 wheels work like a clutch I´d say. I assume these two are "gummed up". Some drips of kerosene, paint thinner or penetrating oil may solve this.

And oil the entire machine from time to time this prevents everything from gumming up.

Do not loosen any set screws this may throw your machine out of time.

post-31854-0-91945900-1405666910_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

On my similar machines, once the handwheel is turned toward the operator and adjusted to the maximum stitch length, it reaches a "stop" and can only be turned back the other direction.

-DC

post-10560-0-31894900-1405701009_thumb.jThank you so much for your help. I thought I would share the story of my machine. My Aunt and Uncle taught upholstry at the local college in the 80's. About 10 years ago my Dad decided he want to learn how and he traded something for this machine. It was jammed and my Aunt could not get it cleared. (I think now it was the safety clutch). I recieved it from my Dad about 6 years ago. Had it about two years an could not get it working so I gave it to an older leathercrafter here in the area. He is in his 90's and can fix any machine. In the last two years my Father and my Aunt have passed away. In January I was asked if I wanted that old machine back, he had it freed up but it was in pieces. I emotionally went over to collect my treasure. But oh yes it was in pieces. The machine was working for the most part on the bench, the table had sat outside for two winters, the motor was in the back yard in the mud, all the additional feet are someplace, but he has so many machines we don't know where. My husband came over to help me get everything loaded up. His remark, "Looks like you have a boat anchor." I said I knew this but as I had more time than money I wanted to work on it. Here are some before and after pictures. I tore the motor apart and got it working, I didn't want to invest a lot in the table as I didn't even know if I would get this running so I modge-podged the table to go with the western theme of our home, put it all together, and nearly cried when it worked. I know my Aunt and Dad are happy. Other than the stitch length issue it is running beautifully. I do owe much thanks to the older craftsman for all his help fixing the machine head itself. Thank you to leatherworker.net - can't even begin to say how much I have learned in the last four years from this site and all of those willing to share knowledge. I hope someday I can help new people starting on the amazing journey of leathercraft.

So the stitch length regulator works again?

Nice story - I always like it when people give old things a new life. Especially when they have a little story. In my opinion most of the times it is worth to restore these vintage Singer (and other brand) industrial machines. Often enough there is still a lot of life left in them!

Still locked up. Put wd40 on and I'm just going to let it work for awhile. Then I will try the kerosene. I would never figured out where to clean it without your detailed help. I'm sure I will get it to loosen up. Might take time as it may have been gummed up for a long time. This machine sews so nice and runs so smooth, I am excited to have hope at changing stitch length. I will keep you informed. Thanks again!

We'll shut, still not loose but I did break the timing belt :-(. Just ordered a new one. I was thinking if taking some spark plug gaping gauges and trying to gently work those in between the wheels. What do you think?

I´m sorry to hear that. Replacing the belt is not the easiest job. You have to remove the hand wheel and the bushing. I did that with my 111G156 last year when I restored it.

Regarding the adjuster - there is a spring next to the plunger wheel (the one with the grove) and it is held in place by another disc which is secured with 2 set screws. I´d try to loosen the 2 screws and release the spring. But I have to admit I have not done this before but this could be a solution.

Do you have a manual for your machine? Often the Singer manuals have an instruction for mechanics included.

Edited by Constabulary

We'll shut, still not loose but I did break the timing belt :-(. Just ordered a new one. I was thinking if taking some spark plug gaping gauges and trying to gently work those in between the wheels. What do you think?

I have loosen the screws (I was curious what behind the wheel is) and there is nothing you can damage. The spring just pushes the plunger wheel against the adjuster and it just fits in one position. But I have to say that I had it adjusted to the longest stitch length before I disassembled it. I assembled it again in less than a minute. I´m still learning new things about my machine - nice lesson for me and I have found an other spot I have to clean.

I have taken some pictures just for the case you are scared. ;)

I hope this helps

post-31854-0-07977800-1405939779_thumb.j

post-31854-0-90151900-1405939780_thumb.j

post-31854-0-53215900-1405939782_thumb.j

post-31854-0-30626900-1405939784_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

Well, my timing belt is here. I have marked everything and removed the hand wheel. I loosened the two set screws on the inside of the machine nearest the wall of the machine. Sooooo now I am stuck. When you say bushing would that be the large round piece which appears to house some ball bearings? If so should I use a small flat punch to gently drive it out. Sorry for all the questions but the owners manual I have is not very clear about this.

Yes that is the bushing. It may sit very tight in there. Only tap on the outside and not on the part that was secured on the upper shaft. I have attached a picture from my restoration

post-31854-0-73271400-1406610893_thumb.j

Edited by Constabulary

Got it. Thank you so much. It is sewing beautiful and my stitch length adjustment is working. Now I am going to start on my singer 294. Wish me luck :-)

Great thread, I am slowly learning my machine. I am also having problems with my stitch length setting.

My first question, what components of the lower assembly should move when the button is engaged? I turn my hand wheel, and things are not moving, then if I reverse direction, then the assembly is moving, even though the plunger is still depressed.... My timing is getting thrown off too. My needle is going up and down, but the timing belt at the bottom is losing its place with the markings. I am going to loosen and clean the area shown in the thumbnails above next.

Thanks!

When you are holding down the plunger and turn the hand wheel you sooner or later you push the plunger in a notch. Then when you look at the lower shaft while turning the hand wheel the entire lower shaft with clutch and hook gears are moving. Inside the stitch length adjustment "thing" is a kind of wedge thats regulates the stitch length. But this should not throw off your timing. Is it possible that your safety clutch has released?

Thank you! That was it! I took apart just like in your earlier photos, and the adjuster wheel was totally stuck. I cleaned everything, oiled, and reassembled. Now by holding the clutch release wheel and turning, I could see how everything should work, and had the problem isolated to my timing belt gear. Long story longer, I found a video late last night showing how to adjust the safety clutch, and realized as you so wisely stated, my safety was released. I had no clue. Mine did not have a screw, just metal pins. I hammered out pins, cleaned, reassembled except for a tiny spring that somehow keeps the little release part in place. Seems really hard to operate, but I am guessing if too easy, it would disengage unnecessarily.

I am enjoying working on this machine. I knew I would need to be able to repair on my own, too far away from any repair place and machine is a tad heavy!

Thanks again!

AluminumAcres

So nice for you. That you find the last step stone (a video) to solve your problems.

Would it be hard for you to publish the video link.

Thank you Constabulary, that was the video I watched! It was a great help, provided the final piece. Now my stitch length button is working correctly. I have my tension adjusted, needle size set with my thread, and am sewing a fine stitch! I fine tuned my hook timing and corrected the occasional skipped stitch. I would not have been able to do this without the shared knowledge from this forum. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Thanks Constabulary . . . . . . as always you are well orientated in sewing-machines-world.

(and from another thread)

hyttogpine - I don´t wanted to sound harsh. Seems I was in a bad mood - sorry ;) .

I didn't find your answer harsh. I was - as 80% of all others, who writes in here and want to hear of others experience, because they have just purchased or near to order a "new" machine - eager to find out how thick this machin chew.

But as Aluminium Acres tell, his machin is now tune right, everything goes smoothly and sewing nice and fine.

And this is maby the best aim, all over, instead of max. thickness of leather.