ponypome

29K13 Stitching Issues

i bought a 29k13 a while back it seems to always has issues ,i took the head of and noticed the cam roller was squared of in two area's so found some on ebay and i have bought some brass shim and will shim some parts of it using a guide from someone who has refurbished one that way with detailed instructions of how to,when i got the machine the bottom arm was off i managed to put it back together has been stitching ok thou it is around 8 stitches to an inch, i haven't used it much as needs work but yesterday i tried it out after getting a new foot offline and when i turn the bell crank around so the foot is facing backward it is doing really tiny stitches but yet is fine at a slight angle and side was ect,what would be causing this issue,in the past the stitches have been the same where ever i turn the foot

i enclose a photo i started of with the foot facing left and did a small square ,i noticed when the foot was facing right the stitches are slightly wonky and when the foot is turned right around it does tiny tiny stitches,instead of enjoying what many call a wonderful sewing machine to own i am just hating it 015_zpse9f72965.jpg

I could imagine that the "feed motion ring slide bar" is more worn in some spots than in others depending in which direction they have sewn most of the time.

But when even a roller is worn off that it even looks squared I think there will be other parts that are worn off too. Parts may no longer work together properly due to the wear. The shim thing can solve some issues temporarily but bass is not very durable. On the long run you may need a new bell bell crank lever and "feed motion ring slide bar" as these are the parts that rub on each other and your machine is probably several decades old and sooner or later these two parts are just worn off. But I´d assume there will be some more worn parts in your head.

Edited by Constabulary

also, make sure the the stitch regulator + gib are installed correctly. When these parts are new they have flattened spot in the middle and the flattened spot should be in the lower position and facing towards the presser foot bar (gib + regulator) - as far as I know. At least this is how they were installed at my 29K71 when I restored it.

Picture "stolen" from college sewing UK
82230.jpg

I have always found that they just sew better when feeding your material toward the machine. Yes it sews in any direction, but since the thread goes through the needle left to right and that's the way the needle is configured, when you go against the flow, it's not the ideal situation. At least that's my theory.

Edited by Kevin

The needle does not turn only the feeding pressure foot. wear in the feed system is what is causing the different stitch length.

Anything older than a 29k58 has limited parts availability although sometimes Bob at Toledo may have something stashed away.

i almost completely replaced the parts to my old 29/71 and it is still tempromental at times, only way is to completely replace moving parts and time it.

That is very unusual as when these machines are set up properly they tend to go forever. Letting Bob and his crew have a look at it might be a worthwhile investment.

i almost completely replaced the parts to my old 29/71 and it is still tempromental at times, only way is to completely replace moving parts and time it.

I salvaged mine from the back of an old garage, been in there for years, right under a hole in the roof, completely rusted solid when i got it., works ok now for small runs, change threads and alter the tension it sometimes has a strop on.