Piedmont

How To Install Binder On Consew 226

Ok.. I'm at a total loss here and can't seem to find anything online.. does anyone have a clue as to how to attach my binder to the machine??

Thanks for any help!!!

post-43638-0-47848200-1406642457_thumb.j

if the plate next to the needle plate (the that covers the hook) has no holes you have to drill 1 or 2 and tap a thread for thumb screws.

Or you buy a new attachment plate

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SLIDE-COVER-ATTACHMENT-PLATE-RIGHT-INSIDE-240003SP-SINGER-111W-CONSEW-225-226-/290723349952?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b07645c0

This is how a complete set looks like:

$_57.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Hmmm.. you don't happen to have a picture of one installed do you?? I'm still at a loss.. It seems like the binder would go in front of the needle, feeding the tape into the foot to be sewn..

But if I install the binder next to it, it doesn't make sense to me..

Part of my problem is I've never seen one attached to a machine like mine!!

Thanks again

see above picture - just have edited it.

I´m in the same situation. I have to buy a binder or binder set for 3/4 tape next month.

One more pic how it looks installed

%21B60z92gEGk~$%28KGrHqEOKkEEzJh9YH63BMy

ahhhh!!! Ok, I didn't realize it came in perpendicular like that.. ok makes sense though so its not in the way of the fabric being sewn.. ok, back to the drawing board..

Thanks much!

Reopening an old thread... I've just got a walking foot sewing machine and it comes with a binding attachment already fixed to a plate from the previous ower.  In the pic about there is a lower feed dog, a feed plate, and two legs (what ever they are called).  Do these all need to be swapped for binding?  It looks like I have all the bits (though the legs are in a bag labeled zip). I have tried binding without swapping anything out and I just jammed the machine after a few stiches with a birds nest underneath. If I swap the feed mechanism bits can I sew normally with that set up or do I need to keep swapping? I mostly intent to sew things like bike bags, back packs, bike covers - that sort of stuff out of codura, canvas, heavy polyester (so not really leather work but this is the only forum I have found)

Thanks for any help

Mike

4 hours ago, DiverMike said:

Reopening an old thread... I've just got a walking foot sewing machine and it comes with a binding attachment already fixed to a plate from the previous ower.  In the pic about there is a lower feed dog, a feed plate, and two legs (what ever they are called).  Do these all need to be swapped for binding?  It looks like I have all the bits (though the legs are in a bag labeled zip). I have tried binding without swapping anything out and I just jammed the machine after a few stiches with a birds nest underneath. If I swap the feed mechanism bits can I sew normally with that set up or do I need to keep swapping? I mostly intent to sew things like bike bags, back packs, bike covers - that sort of stuff out of codura, canvas, heavy polyester (so not really leather work but this is the only forum I have found)

Thanks for any help

Mike

I don't know anything about binding attachments, but I can't imagine it has anything to do with the birds nest problem.

I'd suggest a new thread about that specific issue.

5 hours ago, DiverMike said:

I've just got a walking foot sewing machine and it comes with a binding attachment already fixed to a plate from the previous ower.  In the pic about there is a lower feed dog, a feed plate, and two legs (what ever they are called).  Do these all need to be swapped for binding?  It looks like I have all the bits (though the legs are in a bag labeled zip). I have tried binding without swapping anything out and I just jammed the machine after a few stiches with a birds nest underneath. If I swap the feed mechanism bits can I sew normally with that set up or do I need to keep swapping? I mostly intent to sew things like bike bags, back packs, bike covers - that sort of stuff out of codura, canvas, heavy polyester (so not really leather work but this is the only forum I have found)

Thanks for any help

First off a couple of questions:

i) What machine are you trying to use the binding attachment on?

ii) What size of thread?

iii) What size of needle?

iv) What type of binding are you using?

v) How thick is the material you are trying to bind over? Leather or fabric?

vi) Which style of binding attachment, inline or 90 degree?

I agree with @AlZilla the bird nesting is usually related to tension issue but also can be related to other things depending on the thickness of material and needle thread combination.

For my needs I never have to change the outer or inner presser feet or the feed dog to do binding on my machines. The only thing I may change is the outer presser foot to a left or right toe depending on what I am sewing.

A couple of photo's of how you have setup the binding attachments would help?

kgg

Wouldn't you know I after loads of birds nests I try again and it worked (well it didn't bind up but I'll need to practice to get alignment)

To answer the questions.  I've been struggling with tension - the top tension is so high that removing work is a struggle - I usually have to tug the thread before removing the fabric. One thing I have done before retrying is polished the tension discs.  I saw a youtube video where rust on these caused an issue.  Mine were not rusty but a quick bit of 2000 grit wet and dry polished them up.

I am using Cordura Fabric 1000 Denier (though my intended first project is 300D waterproof polyester),  SAULEDA ACRYLIC BINDING CENTREFOLD TAPE - 22MM, v69 thread. I am not sure on the needle - what ever was in there! If it is the same as the pack that came with the machine size 22:

image0r.jpg

The machine came with a bunch off extras and the binding attachment was in a bag with a different feed plate and lower feed dog

image1r.jpg

similar to the second post on this thread.

The machine is a Seiko STW-8B (OP posted the needle package here instead of the machine picture)

This is the binding attachment - a 90 degree one on a bobbin plate -

image3r.jpg

and it looks like this in situ 

image4r.jpg

The forum didn't like linking to the google photos to apologies for the links over embedded pics.

Thanks for the help - I am really liking this forum

Edited by Northmount
Downloaded Google picture files, resized, and uploaded to maintain the integrity of this thread. Corrected a few typos.

17 hours ago, DiverMike said:

I am not sure on the needle - what ever was in there! If it is the same as the pack that came with the machine size 22: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uReYmbk49GbfekiYA

For V69 the needle size should be a #18 or #19. The #22 would be for V138 in thin or V92 in thick material. A good reference chart for thread size to needle size can be had at: www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

17 hours ago, DiverMike said:

This is the binding attachment - a 90 degree one on a bobin plate

You are going to have stitch alignment troubles should need to move the stitch in or out farther on the binding tape as someone welded the KH 90 degree raw edge binder to the bobbin cover plate. Getting this arrangement to work properly is always going to be a chore at best. You are now limited to that size of binding for that particular plate with the stitch in that location. Should you need or want to change binding tape size you are going to have to get a new plate and binder. Those 90 degree binders are expensive at about $90 CAD ($70 USD).

Edited by Wizcrafts
I activated the text link to Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines' thrread and needle chart

On 7/13/2023 at 7:02 AM, AlZilla said:

I don't know anything about binding attachments, but I can't imagine it has anything to do with the birds nest problem.

I'd suggest a new thread about that specific issue.

Only if the thumb screws to mount the binder are hanging down below the slide plate.

Glenn

14 hours ago, DiverMike said:

The forum didn't like linking to the google photos to appologies for the links over embeded pics.

The reason is that in the future other users as you are will have no pictures to see for reference making this thread useless helping anyone looking for answers.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:50 AM, DiverMike said:

The forum didn't like linking to the google photos to apologies for the links over embedded pics.

There are a number of helps here.  There are lots more helps on the web, both online and off line tools to resize your photos.  Above photos were resized to 800 x 600 pixels.  As you can see, that is adequate.  Hires photos don't display on most monitors, tablets and phones in hires.  They are all scaled down to fit.  It also helps the people on the fringes of the web that have low download speeds.  Doesn't take hours to download.

Hi guys, first time poster and relatively inexperienced sewer. Just got my hands on a Consew 226 and am looking to find a binding attachment that can take 1.5" strips of fabric and double-fold them so that the resulting binding is about 3/8".

Any guidance on where to start? There's some REALLY cheap stuff on Amazon but I'm ok paying for something that's a bit more robust and that I know will fit this machine!