Sign in to follow this  
Curbstrap2

Western Cantle Question

Is there any functional difference between a straight cantle and a Cheyenne roll on a western saddle?

What is the point of different western cantles?

I would say that the difference is mainly mandated by personal preference. I have heard some cowboys say the cheyenne roll gave them a handhold if things got western, but I have yet to see anyone use it. I guess it gives you a place to grab when packin your wood. I always liked a straight bound cantle myself.

Frank Meanea is credited with devopment of the cheyanne roll on there plains style saddles of the late 1800's. out of cheyanne thus the name. the early ones were small in width, they served as handle for saddling your horse. it also allows for the stitching to be hidden under the back of the binding. In the 1950's as rodeo advanced into timed events like steer wrestling and calf roping the saddles evolved with short cantels and wide cheyanne rolls, this allowed fast dismounts for theses events.Straight up bindings look nice and are traditional on high cantels, and show quality craftmanship when stitches match in front and back. So both types of bindings are a matter of style and function.

There is another theory about the development of the Cheyenne Roll by Meanea. These guys roped tied on. If the cow got behind you and started up the other side, that lip helped keep the rope from riding up the back of the cantle and jerking into the small of your back.

I have been told that one of the advantages of the cheyenne roll is to lessen the effect of a horse rolling over on top of a cowboy. Done both, rode both like both of them if they are well done. Ken

I've got a big knot on my tail bone from a straight up cantle. I had roped a bull and the horse I was riding took objection. The rope was over my leg and I thought that cantle was going to beat me to death before I could get off. I don't know if a cheyenne roll would have helped but it might of spread the concussion around a little. That was one of the only times I can remember wanting to get bucked off.laugh.gif

CW

I have been told that one of the advantages of the cheyenne roll is to lessen the effect of a horse rolling over on top of a cowboy. Done both, rode both like both of them if they are well done. Ken

If your horse is rolling over on top of you, I don´t think the cantle binding design is the BIG issue !?

Just a thought.

/ Knut