Reference to the picture, can anyone advise if the artist used a spoon, ball stylus or lifter after he/she did the swivel knife work?

post-18459-098589500 1305639894_thumb.jp

The artist used a swivel knife with a sharp blade to make these cuts. Just Google 'Swivel knife' and see the images if you have any doubt what the item is.

Good luck

Wow, that is nice. I think I need more practice with the swivel knife....

From what i see he would have had to use a Very Wide swivel knife blade...or

used a modeling point to enlarge the knife cuts....I M H O..

THAT IS SOME FINE WORK....

i have been trying to get information on this technique as well, i have been looking for awhile. about a month ago i was at tandy and described what i wanted and the woman sold me a stop...:thumbsdown: not even close! then i was back there a couple of weeks ago and looked through one of the books there...i got really excited because it looks like it's a 'decorative cut stamp" there are 3 of them one curves left, one curves right and a straight one. i was like a kid on christmas morning...woo hoo...i'll take that one please!!! but guess what...they don't have them :censored2: the number i have for them are...Z99L...Z998...Z99R hope that helps you...if you find them, let me know. good luck

I recently received an extra thick 3/8" angle blade from Paul at Leather Wrangler, duplicates those cuts identically. Those are just decoative hand cuts, done by someone pretty talented.

Terry

A wide blade yes; a stylus maybe. I have seen this maker's work before and his swivel knife work is impressive.

Good luck

Reference to the picture, can anyone advise if the artist used a spoon, ball stylus or lifter after he/she did the swivel knife work?

i looked at the picture and i agree with kings X thoese are just swivel knife cuts if you will take a look at bob parks work you will see them on several items only better just my opion of course john

i have been trying to get information on this technique as well, i have been looking for awhile. about a month ago i was at tandy and described what i wanted and the woman sold me a stop...:thumbsdown: not even close! then i was back there a couple of weeks ago and looked through one of the books there...i got really excited because it looks like it's a 'decorative cut stamp" there are 3 of them one curves left, one curves right and a straight one. i was like a kid on christmas morning...woo hoo...i'll take that one please!!! but guess what...they don't have them :censored2: the number i have for them are...Z99L...Z998...Z99R hope that helps you...if you find them, let me know. good luck

I went down this path with the Z tools at first but since I got a Wrangler knife I haven't touched them definately not saying I'm as good as the pic or anyone else that does this sort of carving for that matter but it's definately easier to use a swivel knife than the Z tools as it's difficult to line them up properly at times especially for tight curves.

If your still interested in them I know a place that may still have them, there in Australia though they don't have alot of turnover when it comes to stamping tools ie the Z tools I bought a couple of years ago had the same writing on them as the stamping tools my sister bought in the early 80's. One thing you do have to look for though are some are better finished than others my first Z99L leaves quite a poor cut compared to the second one I was able to get.

Let me know if you want the info of the store I can't find their website at the moment but I know I have a business card at home for them.

Cheers,

Clair

In my opinion, forget the Z tools. Your time is better spent in learning to use your swivel knife properly.

I would say using those stamps is like using a hatchet to do surgery with.

When leather is properly cased, and is at the optimum stage where the leather surface is dried back to nearly it's original color; the swivel knife cuts will pop open due to the leather surface being in tension as compared to the inside. If the leather is then folded after the swvel work is completed, and before the leather dries completely; the cuts will stay open. Note that if you redampen the leather, the cuts will tend to close up again somewhat.

While the points made above may be valid, it is my opinion that not only does the artist above show excellent skill in carving, he also understands the dynamics of leather action.

In my opinion, forget the Z tools. Your time is better spent in learning to use your swivel knife properly.

I would say using those stamps is like using a hatchet to do surgery with.

When leather is properly cased, and is at the optimum stage where the leather surface is dried back to nearly it's original color; the swivel knife cuts will pop open due to the leather surface being in tension as compared to the inside. If the leather is then folded after the swvel work is completed, and before the leather dries completely; the cuts will stay open. Note that if you redampen the leather, the cuts will tend to close up again somewhat.

While the points made above may be valid, it is my opinion that not only does the artist above show excellent skill in carving, he also understands the dynamics of leather action.

Ditto............but I also wanted to add that the leather has a lot to do with the performance. Good leather is good..............bad leather is well................bad so your responses will may not be the same.

Either way, I know with practice your work can mirror this work in your own style.

Happy carving!

I went down this path with the Z tools at first but since I got a Wrangler knife I haven't touched them definately not saying I'm as good as the pic or anyone else that does this sort of carving for that matter but it's definately easier to use a swivel knife than the Z tools as it's difficult to line them up properly at times especially for tight curves.

If your still interested in them I know a place that may still have them, there in Australia though they don't have alot of turnover when it comes to stamping tools ie the Z tools I bought a couple of years ago had the same writing on them as the stamping tools my sister bought in the early 80's. One thing you do have to look for though are some are better finished than others my first Z99L leaves quite a poor cut compared to the second one I was able to get.

Let me know if you want the info of the store I can't find their website at the moment but I know I have a business card at home for them.

Cheers,

Clair

Hi Clair

If you are thinking of Birdsall Leather they dont have them, I just looked

Johanne

Hi Clair

If you are thinking of Birdsall Leather they dont have them, I just looked

Johanne

Hi Johanne,

No it's not Birdsall the shop is in Perth it's http://www.theleathershop.com.au/ if you are interested like I said before it's been a couple of years since I bought them and I haven't been in there for awhile so I don't know if they still have them or not. I don't use mine at all anymore much prefer my Wrangler swivel knife but I want to hang on to them cause they don't make them anymore.

Cheers,

Clair

Edited by cem