Trenton 00

Atom Wax For Hardening A Gun Holster

I m new to the leather working craft and i want to learn from people who know what they are talking about I was told fiebings leather balm with atom wax would work well for hardening leather gun holsters but after reading the bottle I'm not so sure that is correct please help resolve my issue

Edited by Trenton 00

I've never used it to harden leather...did you hear that on here? Maybe some holster makers will see your post and help you out.

I've never used it to harden leather...did you hear that on here? Maybe some holster makers will see your post and help you out.

I was at tandy leather and the person working told me it would work but I dont want to try it based off of what the bottle says if i may ask what would you recommend for hardening leather

atom wax is a finish not a hardener.

when you go to wet form the holster do it without any finish on it. this way the water will leave the leather uniformley. as the leather dries from wet forming it will naturally harden to some degree.

if you want it to be rock hard then there is more to do.

i dont get my holsters to be rock hard because i dont think they need to be that hard.

I knew wet forming would harden the leather I guess what I'm looking for would be after drying if the holster were exposed to the weather it would soften again and I want to prevent this from happening without using a product that would comprise the stiffness of the leather any ideas on this question Might be over thinking but as a mechanic I try to prevent a problem before it happens

After its formed and almost dry heat it to 125-130 degF for about 10 minutes. That will harden it and weather wont soften it again. The heat melts the collagen(?) in the leather and make it pretty stiff but not rock hard. Then be sure to finish it with some sort of wax or acrylic finish.

Michael

I use atom wax to bring back some of the shine to the holster. I use an oil/beeswax finish, and it's just a bit too dull. Atom wax gives it a nice shine, and some depth, without looking like I dipped it in plastic. I would not say it hardens anything though.