Cole

Tryn To Learn To Sew Leather

It looks like you swapped thread paths several times, that's all. To get the stitches to lay down and look nicer, you have to follow the same stitching 'pattern' every time, for every stitch. For example: When I hand sew, I start with the right hand needle, go through, and pull it up and back. Then the left hand needle, which is positioned 'under' the RH, goes through. If you alternate which side goes through first, it will change how the thread lays. Also, even if you start with the same side each time, but alternate pulling the thread 'up and back' with 'down and back', it will change how the thread lays. It's all about consistency, making sure that the thread from one side lays over the thread coming from the other side is crossing it the same way. Make sure that you pull the same tension on each thread as well. Give that a try and let us know how it works out.

What he said. Just relax focus and do exactly the same thing over and over. Once you have the muscle memory and the feel it will be easier. Having said that, it is why I learned to lace, I hate to hand stitch but it sure is nice when it is done right.

Good luck

David

Hi Cole from your pictures it looks to me as if you have used some kind of punch to make your holes? Try a pricking iron to mark the surface with //////// instead of making holes, then use a "sharp" diamond awl to make your holes ensuring that the diamond shape of the awl follows the slant of the stitch mark, Another point is if you are stitching "double hand" ie with 2 needles make sure the stitch marks go ///// if they go \\\\\ the stitches wont lie correctly.

\\\\\ are for single hand stitching but to confuse things even more you can stitch single hand in double hand markings.

I found it!!! I have been looking for this to show you Cole its shows how I was taught to stitch. Hope you find it helpful :)

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=44257&hl=+stitching%20+belt#entry277077

Cool. Video jax. What tool was that he made the stitchn marks with?

Gary was it a pricking iron you were talking about?

Gary was it a pricking iron you were talking about?

Hi Cole the tool would have been a pricking iron, the 1s I use come in different sizes depending how many stitches per inch you want to do & come in 2 tooth (ideal for wavy lines & getting round tight corners etc) 1/2", 1" 11/2" & maybe 2" but not sure on that 1 & I got mine from Dixons here in the UK, although I did have the teeth on mine made smaller, they tend to make them too big for my liking now. Good luck :)