Sign in to follow this  
esantoro

neoprene laptop case

I'd like to start making padded laptop cases. Does anyone know if the padding material is called nylon-covered neoprene or something else?

Thanks,

Ed

I'd like to start making padded laptop cases. Does anyone know if the padding material is called nylon-covered neoprene or something else?

Thanks,

Ed

Yeah, its just neoprene with a laminate fabric. They do sell "naked" neoprene which is just the rubber compound without fabric, see here: http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neoprene.html#Neoprene

There are some other options too; http://www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/neoprene.asp They sell "land use" or SBR neoprene for considerably less than "normal" neoprene.

I will tell you that this stuff was beyond tricky for me to sew, especially at the thicknesses I required. You might have someone that knows how to sew stretchy fabrics come over and teach you. I also realized that an industrial serger would be ideal for the laptop cases I was trying to make. YMMV.

Ed, just find the address of your local dive club. One of the members will almost certainly make double skinned neoprene wetsuits and this is exactly the same stuff. I made a few wetsuits in the dim and distant past by butt jointing the sections and gluing with contact adhesive. As Ttownfire says, it can be a bit of a problem to stitch but we just used an industrial zigzag machine and took our time. I suspect you will make a better job than I did <grin!>.

If you get stuck for a source in Europe just send me a PM and I'll try to dig up a few old contacts for you.