Sign in to follow this  
johnggrg

Holster Leather Question

I read somewhere here in the forum that using chrome tan leather for holsters would not be a good idea. Because of the salt that can come out of the leather can and will affect the bluing on your pistol. My question is can you still use chrome tan leather and seal it somehow? Maybe a waterproofing or something? Please let me know what you think. I started to make one from this material and now need to know. Thank you. John

Edited by johnggrg

I think the general consensus is that CT should NOT be used on the interior of the holster....for the reasons you read. You can certainly try sealing it, and I can't think of a reason you can't, but you also need to be aware that it will not carve or mold like veg-tan. That means that decorative carving or stamping will not look as good, and unless you're going after a simple "bikini" holster that has no molding or retention, it won't be very useful.

I think the general consensus is that CT should NOT be used on the interior of the holster....for the reasons you read. You can certainly try sealing it, and I can't think of a reason you can't, but you also need to be aware that it will not carve or mold like veg-tan. That means that decorative carving or stamping will not look as good, and unless you're going after a simple "bikini" holster that has no molding or retention, it won't be very useful.

Twinoaks thank you for the reply. I have used it before and it molded good for what I used it for. I have not started to tool leather yet. Still lots to learn before I go there. I have a lot of the chrome tan right now that a buddy gave me. Want to use it up. I am only just starting out in leather work and it's all a learning experiance right now. That was why I asked if it could be sealed somehow. Better to learn on something free then to learn on something that costs money. Till I get better to the point of not messing up what I am doing. I know the veg tan leather is way better then the chrome tan. I was thinking of getting some veg tan scrap to start learning tooling on. But for now need to use this stuff I have on hand for first few projects. thanks again. John

I read somewhere here in the forum that using chrome tan leather for holsters would not be a good idea. Because of the salt that can come out of the leather can and will affect the bluing on your pistol. My question is can you still use chrome tan leather and seal it somehow? Maybe a waterproofing or something? Please let me know what you think. Thank you. John

You need to use veg tan leather to wet mold. It is the only leather that will hold form.

As Monica has noted, only vegetable-tanned leather is capable of being molded and formed, so this is what we want to use to make holsters. Further, every leather item has a tendency to attract, absorb, and retain moisture which may come from precipitation, the atmosphere, or from perspiration of the user. Chrome-tanned leather will always retain chemical salts from the tanning process that can be highly corrosive, not only to blued firearms but also to stainless steels and some modern firarms' finishes (notably Parkerizing, as well as manganese-phosphate black coatings).

Coupling the tendency of the leather to retain moisture with the residual chemical salts of chrome-tanning processes creates a "double whammy" effect, with residual moisture taking up chemical salts in solution and holding that sludge in close contact with ferrous metal. The result will almost certainly be corrosion. I have seen even modern stainless steel weapons with noticable surface corrosion after being stored for extended periods of time in leather holsters or cases.

I always recommend that customers remove their handguns from their holsters following each day's use, wipe down the handgun with an oily rag or silicone-treated cloth, and store handguns and holsters separately. Holsters should be kept in areas having good air flow, allowing any residual moisture to evaporate away before the next use. This recommendation holds for holsters of vegetable-tanned leather as well, but especially if there are linings of suede or other chrome-tanned leathers.

Regardless of what type of sealants one uses, or how thoroughly these are applied, regular use and the stretching and flexing involved in normal use will always provide avenues for moisture infiltration.

Best regards.

John, there really is no way to seal leather when rubbing against an unyielding surface like the metal of a gun.. Any Chrome tan I've ever used has been lined well with veg tanned, usually 4-5 ounce or higher. The other problem you encounter is that the finish is the finish...you get a little careless with your tools and a lifelong scratch pops up and you end up living with a mistake or a round file project.

What kinda holster project are you making?

I read somewhere here in the forum that using chrome tan leather for holsters would not be a good idea. Because of the salt that can come out of the leather can and will affect the bluing on your pistol. My question is can you still use chrome tan leather and seal it somehow? Maybe a waterproofing or something? Please let me know what you think. I started to make one from this material and now need to know. Thank you. John

John, there really is no way to seal leather when rubbing against an unyielding surface like the metal of a gun.. Any Chrome tan I've ever used has been lined well with veg tanned, usually 4-5 ounce or higher. The other problem you encounter is that the finish is the finish...you get a little careless with your tools and a lifelong scratch pops up and you end up living with a mistake or a round file project.

What kinda holster project are you making?

Thanks for the reply. Well I'm making a drop leg holster. To use when I am hunting (private land). So it would be used only for a few hours out of the day 3-4 days out of the year. That's all. Not to store it in. Like I said it is really just to practice on. I will use it but it is more practice then anything. If this one turns out I will make another just like it with the Veg tan leather. So in a way it's like a prototype for the real one to come.

I really just stumbled in to the hobby and found that I liked it and wanted to learn more. So a friend hooked me up with ALOT of the chrome tanned leather. His grandfather was in to leather working and had passed away. So I ended up with it. John

Thanks for the reply. Well I'm making a drop leg holster. To use when I am hunting (private land). So it would be used only for a few hours out of the day 3-4 days out of the year. That's all. Not to store it in. Like I said it is really just to practice on. I will use it but it is more practice then anything. If this one turns out I will make another just like it with the Veg tan leather. So in a way it's like a prototype for the real one to come.

I really just stumbled in to the hobby and found that I liked it and wanted to learn more. So a friend hooked me up with ALOT of the chrome tanned leather. His grandfather was in to leather working and had passed away. So I ended up with it. John

NEVER NEVER NEVER store a gun in a holster, any holster. Material traps moisture which then corrodes the finish. That's where you get oxidation and pitting.

How thick is the leather you're planning to use for this holster? For an owb rig a 7/8oz veg tan is as light as I'd go, especially drop leg out on land.

Shorts thanks for the reply. Yes I have NO plans on storing ANY of my guns in holsters or cases. I might be just getting into leather working but my real hobby is collecting antique firearms. I've been a collector for years. My father sold guns for a living and I grew up with them. So I know all about that. But as far as my practice holster. I beleive it is 6-7 oz. Like I said if this one works out I will use it as a template to make one from veg tan leather. It is all just practice at this point. John

Chrome tanning is responsible for many cancer and leukemia deaths. It's takes less time and less labor to chrome tan leather.

I've read you can identify chrome tanned leather by burning it and it will produce a green ash.

Shorts thanks for the reply. Yes I have NO plans on storing ANY of my guns in holsters or cases. I might be just getting into leather working but my real hobby is collecting antique firearms. I've been a collector for years. My father sold guns for a living and I grew up with them. So I know all about that. But as far as my practice holster. I beleive it is 6-7 oz. Like I said if this one works out I will use it as a template to make one from veg tan leather. It is all just practice at this point. John