I am fairly new to leather working....I have made different things, knife sheaths, rifle scabbards etc. The other day, one of the local horse owners found out that I did leather work, and she stopped by with a saddle she needs repaired. It needs the stirrup straps repaired (which I can do) and the saddle horn re-covered. The saddle horn is made of metal, and was originally covered with braided raw hide. The lady left the saddle here and wanted to see if I can repair it. I have no idea how to recover it....she said it didn't have to be recovered with raw hide, it could be just re-covered in leather. Can anybody direct me how to go about doing this? Remember I am a newbie to all of this and I'm sure there are a lot of terminology I have not yet heard of!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The best and simplest directions I have seen are in the Stolhman Encyclopedia of Saddlemaking. You don't have to have the whole set, I believe the information you are looking for is in volume 2.

Bob

The patterns are in Volume 1, the instructions are in Volume 2. I'd get both. Volume 1 has a lot of good, general information in addition to the patterns you are really going to want to have.

Also remember that to cover a horn properly you need to remove the swell covers. With volumes 1 and 2 you pretty much have everything on building a saddle, volume 3 covers some options but all of the basics are in 1 and 2. Knowing how to build one will help you figure out how to rip one appart without destroying it :)

Good luck. Holler if you need more help.

Dan