Sign in to follow this  
Chris B

Bouncing?

I have a small problem that I dont know how to resolve. When I am stamping at the bench my leather bounces off of the marble. But the only time it does it, is when I dont have a backing on the leather. But when I have it rubber cemented to the x-ray film I use the leather doesnt bounce, so I can get clearer tooling. So do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do on stuff that isnt going to get lined? Like belts, I dont plan on lining them but how can I stop the bounce with out having the cement residue left on the back?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm Quite a Novice so i'm not sure my Advice can help much, but going from a starter workbench, my old fold-out card table, to a handmade wooden workbench in my shop, i can say that having a sturdy table and a Thick Granite Slab helps Quite a Bit.

Edited by Thalaskaru

I'm Quite a Novice so i'm not sure my Advice can help much, but going from a starter workbench, my old fold-out card table, to a handmade wooden workbench in my shop, i can say that having a sturdy table and a Thick Granite Slab helps Quite a Bit.

perhaps the backing absorbs the blows ?? have you cased well or just using a spong??full casing may let you strike with less force and get the depth you are looking for....I have like problems with thin leather for buckle covers....

http://www.mittlerbros.com/images/Products/Fournier/Shot%20bag.JPG

Attached pic for illustration purposes.

Make some shot bags. Get some scrap leather. The shape doesn't have to be circular like the pic. I just make 2 rectangles of leather about 2.5" X 8" or so. Or one piece 16" long and fold in half lengthwise, then sew up all but the top. Fill with lead shot a little at a time. Shake the lead shot down as you fill and then close off the top. The bags are placed on the leather to stop things moving about.

Barra

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just use a sponge to case it. The desk I use is pretty solid. But I do want to build a bigger and more sturdier one, just havent gotten around to it lol. Thanks barra for the pic. Im going to have to build one of those and try it out.

Thanks,

Chris

I had problems before similarto yours. First you need a good solid bench or desk top. Second a big thick slab of marble or granite. Third I don't us backing like X-Ray fim and rubber cement. I take my bone dry leather and apply wide strips of clear Scotch Long Lasting Storage Tape. I will use a roler or a spoon to burnish it down. When I moisten the leather I use a sponge and use only enough water to get the job done. Then let your project dry completely before you pull off the tape. You want to pull the tape off the leather rather than trying to pull the leather off the tape.

These are just guide lines and with time you may come up with techniques of your own. I always had problems with the rubber cement adhering to the flesh side of the leather. Sometimes you have to experiment to find out what best works for you. Good luck!

Storm

Yeah, good solid bench, get a slab of granite, and put it directly above the leg of the table. I have a workbench I got my carpenter father to make in exchange for a belt (pretty good deal there) and my granite is a 14"x14"x4" piece of white stone. It's actually part of a reject government issue headstone for veterans. It has a fault line in it they rejected, but it works for me fine. My sister's an undertaker and her boyfriend owns a monument company, so he just sawed it down to size for me and I got a free 50 pound stone slab.

The shot bags thing is a great idea though, I'm going to make a couple tomorrow...

Thanks everyone again. I made one shot bag and put about 4000 bbs in it. lol It helped but I do need to make another one. And I have to get on the ball and make me a bench instead of the desk I have been using.

Thanks Again,

Chris

My 50 lb anvil works great. Ankle weights might work and they are cheap and heavy