Graham97

Singer 29-4 What Are Vertical Tension Disks For?

Hi All,

I'm a newbie and I just got an old singer 29-4 shoe repair sewing machine. I've oiled it and threaded it and it's stitching well. I found the manual online and followed the threading steps using the tension disks on the top of the machine.

I just can't figure out what the second extra set of tension disks do. They are mounted directly on front of the operator and vertical compared to the top tension disks which are mounted horizontally. The second tension disks don't need to be used in the normal procedure for threading the upper thread, but there is no mention of what the extra tension discs are for. I'm just curious really. Can anyone help, what are they used for?

The tension discs in the front are used for darning.

Bob

post-7185-0-73237700-1352226902_thumb.jp

Thats true Bob, although its mostly used for spareparts and bobbin winding :rofl:

Trox,how does the bobbin fit on it? :rofl: :rofl:

Trox,how does the bobbin fit on it? :rofl: :rofl:

lots of silicone lube and a half ton jack :rofl:

Hi All,

I'm a newbie and I just got an old singer 29-4 shoe repair sewing machine. I've oiled it and threaded it and it's stitching well. I found the manual online and followed the threading steps using the tension disks on the top of the machine.

I just can't figure out what the second extra set of tension disks do. They are mounted directly on front of the operator and vertical compared to the top tension disks which are mounted horizontally. The second tension disks don't need to be used in the normal procedure for threading the upper thread, but there is no mention of what the extra tension discs are for. I'm just curious really. Can anyone help, what are they used for?

I have a 29-4. If you need any more info, I'll share with you what I have.

I thought that it would sew anything when I first got it.....found out that it wouldn't sew at all! It was missing a couple of parts. I now have it sewing, but it's really only for specialized jobs. I actually used it to repair the zipper in a pair of fire station boots...just to see if I could. :thumbsup:

I got it for a good price and keep it around just cause I think it's cool. I spent more on parts than I gave for it.

Thanks for replying Bobby,

It's true the 29-4 seems quite specialized for shoe repair, it marks my veg tan with the foot so I haven't been using it much. I was given the machine by a friend who had inherited it from a late uncle and it had been unused for about 10 years. I oiled it up and after a bit of head scratching managed to get it stitching. I thought I'd be able to stitch belts but the bobbin seems to hold only very small lengths of thread and quite thin weight.

I use the front mounted tension disks to control the tension when I wind bobbins. Otherwise, they are used for free-hand sewing/darning, where the presser foot is out of the equation.

Under normal sewingstances (I just coined a new word!) the presser foot mechanism can only lift so high before it lifts the tension off the top disks. If your thread is routed around the top disks and the foot lifts the preset amount, you will lose top tension during that stitch. By using the front tension disks instead, you will never lose top tension.

With no tension release on the front disks, you must pull the thread through with your hand before removing the work. Otherwise, pop goes the needle...

Hi I'm trying to find a sewing machine that is around $300.00 I'm on a budget. The thickest leather would be 1 Inch thick total on double shoulder leather. I tool the Holsters then sew it

People have told me that the Singer 15-91 will do the trick

Can you help me please!

$300.00

In order to sew leather 1" thick you will have to add another zero to the left of the decimal point.

Hi I'm trying to find a sewing machine that is around $300.00 I'm on a budget. The thickest leather would be 1 Inch thick total on double shoulder leather. I tool the Holsters then sew it

People have told me that the Singer 15-91 will do the trick

Can you help me please!

If I read your request properly, you have $300 to spend on a machine that can sew up to 1 inch of leather and are wondering if a Singer 15-91 can do this?

Is this a joke? In case it's not, I'll answer you.

A Singer 15-91 is lucky to sew even 1/4 inch of leather and that with #69 thread, maximum. They were made for domestic sewing of cloth. They have pod motors built into the body that are not powerful enough to feed and sew holsters. And, nobody I know of would sew one using #69 thread.

In order to sew up to one inch of holster leather (veg or bridle), you need one of the following machines, listed by their capacity.

1. Campbell High Lift (1 1/8")
  2. Luberto Classic (1 1/8")
  3. Cowboy CB4500, Cobra Class 4, or Techsew 5100 (7/8")
  4. Adler 205-374 (3/4")
  5. Juki TSC 441 and other brand clones of it (3/4")
  6. Union Lockstitch (3/4")
  7. Campbell-Randall Lockstitch (3/4")
  8. Other ancient harness stitchers

Since you have $300 to spend, you need to know what those machines typically sell for.

1. about $8,000, plus or minus
  2. about $5,500 (not currently in production)
  3. about $2,500 to $3,000
  4. $5995.00
  5. about $5,500
  6. between $1500 for private sales, auctions, used, not rebuilt, to $4500 rebuilt to specs.
  7. Randall Lockstitch machines sell for between $3,500 used, up to $7,000 rebuilt to specs
  8. Old harness machines in working condition, with needles (and awls), typically sell for anywhere from $1000 to $5,000

All of the above machines can easily sew with heavy bonded nylon or polyester thread, in size #346, which has about 66 pounds tensile strength per stitch, using a #26 or #27 needle. The needle and awl machines (numbers 1, 6, 7 and 8) can also use glazed linen thread run through a wax pot, up to 8 or more cords, with the proper needle and awl combination.

You can now see that $300 will not get you a sewing machine that can sew 1 inch of leather, with any thread size. You will need about 10 times that much money to get to even 7/8 inches.

I bought a pearson #6 for $1600. After some cleaning and oiling it works great. What a dream to sew with. It will sew damn near a 1 1/4". The other day I sewed a 4oz piece and then around 36ozs and didn't have to adjust the tension! Needles are pricey but I don't think you'll break or bend many of the big bastards.

My point is there's deals out there just keep looking. (I usually see the #6 go for 3500-4000)But you will have to spend more than 300

Mike