mrfixit

1911 Pattern For Browning Hi Power?

I just build holsters for me, no business or anything, so less wasted material and less set up cost would be better.

That being said, I have a new to me Browning Hi-Power that will need a good holster. Just out of curiosity I have stuck it in my 1911 holsters and seems to be a prety close fit. I'm wondering if I can use that pattern to make a holster for the BHP? What I am really wondering is if anyone else has done this, and if so, how much do I need change the stiching on the outline to make it tight and right?

Or do I just need to pony up and buy another pattern?

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the style of holster. For a pancake or avenger style, it should be pretty easy to adjust the stitch line and grip clearance from a 1911 pattern. Get yourself some old file folders and make your own patterns. It really isn't all that hard. All it takes is a pair of scissors and some time. Keep cutting and fitting and pretty soon you'll have a useable (custom) pattern.

I just build holsters for me, no business or anything, so less wasted material and less set up cost would be better.

That being said, I have a new to me Browning Hi-Power that will need a good holster. Just out of curiosity I have stuck it in my 1911 holsters and seems to be a prety close fit. I'm wondering if I can use that pattern to make a holster for the BHP? What I am really wondering is if anyone else has done this, and if so, how much do I need change the stiching on the outline to make it tight and right?

Or do I just need to pony up and buy another pattern?

Thanks in advance.

Show us a picture of the holster you now want to duplicate. Most likely, . . . it will be a simple process, . . . but I hate to start trying to give advice: if it is this one, do this, . . . if it is that one do that, . . . but if the other one, gotta do the other thing.

The 1911 is one of the thinnest of the big bore auto's, . . . so to start with the pattern will have to be somewhat bigger, . . . but again, . . . pop up the pics and one of us can probably point you in the correct direction.

May God bless,

Dwight