Paddywhompus

Ebay Leather?

Of course it all depends on the seller, but there's ones with 300,000+ good reviews that sell leather that claims to average say... 22-25 sq ft. yet some I find, Bridle and Latigo for instance are oddly priced 100$ or 150$ for the particular side. Obviously with so many good reviews and high rating they're not selling garbage, but I wonder what exactly the drawback is to such a low price for all types of thicknesses and leather tans? Odd color chosen? They all show marks, scratches and whatnot, but it still doesn't really explain the such cheap price.

I currently reside close enough where SLC is a short drive and I can hold and touch all the leather to see what I get. No offense to them but their leather store is like a mad house, everything seems so scattered. Tandy recently opened up a joint nearby however they seem to think their stuff is the 'bees knees' with price, although it is laid out well. Just strikes me as a slight odd Latigo and Bridle, sold at 20+ sq ft, for way under the price. How and why? Seems too good to be true but... with all the reviews, what would you think?

Reason I'm inquiring is because I intend to buy some Latigo soon to finish a tool pouch set I've been crafting for work. I've been using Vege tan for most of it, but to flip the pouches I need something far more supple, so I'm wanting to see how good of a deal I can truly get on my work.

Thanks!

I buy very little on Ebay. I trust very few folks with cut rate no matter what it is. If it is too cheap to be true it probably has multiple problems.

Holes, as in bullet, improper use of skinning knives etc. Processed so the skins are the same thickness over all, not often with the cut rate.

Buyer beware as far as I am concerned.

ferg

I buy very little on Ebay. I trust very few folks with cut rate no matter what it is. If it is too cheap to be true it probably has multiple problems.

Holes, as in bullet, improper use of skinning knives etc. Processed so the skins are the same thickness over all, not often with the cut rate.

What's this 'cut rate'? The thickness? What would improper use of skinning knives cause? Thinner areas in the leather?

I've noticed holes, scratches, etc are marked in the pictures by the seller to inform buyers. Unless you need an entire side and a lot of sq ft. It seems like a viable buy if you're capable of working around bad spots.

Of course, mine is going to be for tool pouches, so small imperfections that show on the surface won't bother me if they don't interfere with the integrity of the leather and its ability to perform its function, which is hold my tools. Although I have decided to go with 6/7, maybe even 5/6oz leather for my pouches, not too much weight but thick enough to ensure my tin snips don't punch through over a few months of dropping it in there.

Definition of Cut Rate: Junk

Thickness: Same thickness/weight throughout the hide.

If you feel the less than great leather hides are okay for what you fashion, that is fine with me. I was simply giving my opinion.

Something that doesn't seem to be allowed much on here anymore.

ferg