Redhairing

Question About Leather Suitable For Burnishing Edges.....

I am making a satchel with exposed edges and would like to burnish and finish them well. I have used veg tan and bridle leather & love the edge quality but wonder what other choices might be available. Specifically, what is combination veg/chrome re-tan? and will it burnish? Will oil tan burnish? Any other leather choices suitable for raw edge work? Thank You~

You certainly have to get creative once you start using veg/chrome tans and oil tans. It's possible, but you'll have to invest some money trying the different options before you find what you like. I'm having decent luck with fenice edge agent (it's from Tandy, but I found it on ebay, since I couldn't find it on their website) and fenice edge paint. But each chrome tanned leather is different, and I'm still trying it on different leathers.

It's not only the tanning method that can cause issues. Also the type, pig skin, deer hide... can cause issues. On some chrome tanned calf skin I had decent results with a soldering iron. Various tips for the soldering iron can be found on eBay. Make sure to get the brass type if you want to give it a try. I've seen them in stainless steal but it takes a lot longer to heat it up and may cause discoloring.

Monica, Tandy is just the reseller. Fenice is out of Italy (http://www.fenice.it/index.php/en/) and they used to make it exclusively for Tandy Leather. Since it can be found on etsy and elsewhere now as well as this information has been removed from their webiste I guess that contract has run out.

thank you both for the advice.....I will investigate the brass iron and the Fenice coating as I have quite a few chrome dyed 5-6 oz. hides that I hadn't considered using for "edge work"pieces. Thanks again!

I use veg-retan hot-stuffed latigo for some of my items, it is very firm with no stretch, but still thin, 5-6oz. It burnishes nicely. Super durable.I use it for the straps on bicycle bags that get used hard and put away wet all the time. Burnish up the edges smooth without any wax and then 2-3 coats of 50/50 resoline.

Can you recommend a supplier?....this sounds right up my alley....googling right away...Thank you!!!!!!

Only supplier i know is in canada in Calgary. Buckskin leather.