Sign in to follow this  
sherlockian100

Help With Stitching Holes

I saw this stitch, done by another member on this forum (can't remember who) and I really like this stitch. I understand how the stitch is run, but when I tried it by punching stitch holes with a diamond awl, it didn't look right, as the thread ran almost on top of, instead of beside like in this pick. My my question is, can anyone tell me what kind of hole was punched to get this look? I'm thinking maybe a diagonal slit (like a striaght line diagional lacing slit) but I'm not sure. Any input would be much appreciated.

8124044724_0fcb6062e6.jpg

100424085743_bull_rider_cell_phone_case by sherlockian100, on Flickr

Hi Sherlockian..I've saved the pic and when I zoomed in, it looks like the stitches miss a hole and go to the next, each time..

It may even be done with one needle by the look of it, depending on if the back of the stitch is a different pattern.

If it's the same on the back of the stitch, then I can't work out how they came back to pick up the hole that's missed, apart from using two seperate sets of stitching..

post-33507-0-75002300-1351228476_thumb.j

Not sure if that's helped you at all, but after 4 hrs sleep, its all I can come up with..LOL

Regards

Phil

It is backstitch but this is the side which is not normally seen. I believe it's called rope stitch in embroidery. Just one needle and thread. I do it occasionally and use a standard diamond sewing awl and one needle - it just needs a bit (sometimes a lot) of fiddling with to get it looking right. I use a pricking iron to mark the stitches so the awl cuts are diagonal.

I have found it looks better using a round thread rather than a flat braided or flat corded thread.

Hope that's of some use.

Gary

Edited by gary

Thanks, ya I see how the stitch is done, I'm more curious about the hole. If it's a hole from a diamond awl, or a long hole. When I tried it with my diamond awl, the thread didn't really sit next to itself (if that makes sense) like in the pick. It tried to occupy the same space as the first time the stitch went thru it, causing it to sit on top of itself, thats why I was wandering if it's maybe a long hole, thats diagonal. Hope my descripton makes sense.

Sorry, I should have RTFQ.

In the original picture, down at the bottom right of the case, it does look like a diagonal hole but from I can't tell if it's from an awl or a chisel.. As I said, I use a normal stitching awl and that's probably why I have to fiddle around to get it looking right. having said that, it lies beetr the more I do so I suppose a lot of it is down to how you manipulate the thread as it goes through the holes. Sorry I can't be of more help - maybe someone else has an idea. Gary

Thanks Gary, I'll play with it.

Edited by sherlockian100

Just one needle and thread.

Hope that's of some use.

Gary

Hi Gary..one quick question..the back of that stitch..do you just do a loop around to go back to the missed hole?

Regards

Phil

I'll try and be logical about this ... so bear with me. I'll be pedantic but that's for my benefit and I'm not trying to patronise.

With the leather in front of you, in the clams, stitches marked and single needle primed. Hole number one is furthest away from you and you're stitching towards yourself.

Stab hole 1, pass needle through from left to right.

Stab hole 3, pass needle through from right to left.

Stab hole 2, pass needle through from left to right.

Hole 4, right to left.

Hole 3, left to right making sure the thread enters and exits through the top of the hole.

Hole 5, right to left.

Hole 4, left to right making sure the thread enters and exits through the top of the hole.

Hole 6, right to left.

Hole 5, left to right, top of the hole.

Hole 7, right to left.

Hole 6, left to right, top of hole.

Etc, etc, etc.

I had a quick bash at this last night to make sure I wasn't talking complete rubbish. I used an 8spi pricking iron and my usual sewing awl and 0.8mm thread. It came out looking not bad. It did take a wee bit of fiddling to make sure the thread came out where it needed to and to make sure I didn't sew through the previous thread but it was fine. I tried it again this morning with some thicker thread and it looked better - a rounded 1.2mm thread. I'll get a couple of photos when I have a chance.

Gary

Good explanation Gary, mate..thankyou.. ;)

I used a pencil and pad to help me visualise..it works better for my head..LOL

Hope you're not snowed in up there.. ;)

Regards

Phil

Hi yes it’s a back stitch also known as a bridle stitch the side showing is the back side the front looks the same as a regular stitch. The holes are the same as with two needles i.e. //// don’t pull the thread tight every time you pull the needle through only when you complete a stitch. Ill sew a piece later and take some pictures showing the procedure step by step it’ll be easier to explain that way and Ill post it here later.

Thanks again! I got it looking decent.

Thanks again! I got it looking decent.

NIce one.. It's good to learn something new.. :)

NIce one.. It's good to learn something new.. :)

Yes, plus...thanks to Gary, I learned a new acronym and a new word. :cowboy: