Chavez

Cutting Patterns

Hi and thanks in advance for your advice!

I've recently started designing cutting patterns in inkscape and I am wondering what do people usually cut their patterns from?

I can print the test ones on regular A4, but then once the pattern has been tested and I'm happy with it, I would prefer to cut it out of something a bit harder. Do you use thick paper? Sheets of plastic? Anything else?

Thanks!

I use butchers paper for practice, then either a heavy weight artists paper (I scored several large artist pads for free) or for really long term patterns I use the cheap $2 shop plastic cutting boards

Natalie

I've recently started designing cutting patterns in inkscape and I am wondering what do people usually cut their patterns from?

Hi Chavez,

Myself for "one time pattern" I used just a grocery store brown bags, cut , unfold and put several of them together (as many as requred) with narrow sort of transparent office tape like these

For long lasting patterns (actually lalmost lifetime lasting :) ) I used to use different sorts of office binders. They are usually available in different thicknesses, sizes, from different plastics (firm, pliable, etc) so you can choose the right one. Just cut it with heavy duty shears. Also cost for cents (especially Chinese ones and with no any springs inside).

Edited by Suicide

My wife got an automatic paper cutter for Christmas. The thing is great. I now design my patterns in google sketchup, export it out to the cutter's program, and then it will automatically the pattern out in whatever paper I want. I use super heavy 140lb card stock and it makes nice patterns. This is good for quick prototyping work. The patterns are easy to design and they come out perfect.

There's a few places in the SF Bay area called the tech shop that has industrial machines that you can get a membership to and use their stuff. They have laser cutters there. I have a friend who has a membership. I'm thinking that when I finalize on a few patterns, I can just give him the file and he can cut them out on 1/4" acrylic and I can then use that as my cutting pattern. Hope this helps.

Andrew

I have made a few reusable craft aids. Got a sheet of heavy clear mylar from art supply store. Sized an image of my pattern on the pc and printed it on regular printer paper. Taped the paper to the mylar. Used a small stylus to trace the image into the mylar (pressing relatively hard as I traced). Removed the tape and paper. This left a raised area on the bottom of the mylar similar to a craft aid. Prep my leather and rub the pattern onto it. I have even used clear plastic squeeze bottles from dishwashing soap - the plastic is somewhat pliant.

For one time projects, I will print an image on a piece of computer paper and trace it with a stylus.

Thanks for all your advice.

The craftaid-ish idea sounds interesting=)

Has anyone had any experience cutting thin (1-2mm) plexi? Or should I go for softer plastics? My idea was to print the pattern out on a laser printer and then transfer it to a plastic sheet by ironing. But then I still have to accurately cut it out, so the plastic choice is quite important here =(

I'm also wondering how much it would cost to order a dozen templates from a laser-cutting firm and send them some .svg files with designs... Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks for all your advice.

The craftaid-ish idea sounds interesting=)

Has anyone had any experience cutting thin (1-2mm) plexi? Or should I go for softer plastics? My idea was to print the pattern out on a laser printer and then transfer it to a plastic sheet by ironing. But then I still have to accurately cut it out, so the plastic choice is quite important here =(

I'm also wondering how much it would cost to order a dozen templates from a laser-cutting firm and send them some .svg files with designs... Has anyone had any experience with them?

I spoke to a local guy about this and he charged $100/hour. He said that he had a 100 watt laser that could cut up to about 1/4" acrylic of a maximum 18"x36". If you fit all your patterns within this space it should take less than and hour for them to finalize the files and cut all the patterns out.

Andrew

I spoke to a local guy about this and he charged $100/hour. He said that he had a 100 watt laser that could cut up to about 1/4" acrylic of a maximum 18"x36". If you fit all your patterns within this space it should take less than and hour for them to finalize the files and cut all the patterns out.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

A $100/hr seems to be quite a lot for a pattern, especially considering that I'm not trading and not going to be trading for a while. Well, its nice to know the prices anyway.

Looks like it's scissors and chinese plastic files for me ;)))

I can print the test ones on regular A4, but then once the pattern has been tested and I'm happy with it, I would prefer to cut it out of something a bit harder. Do you use thick paper? Sheets of plastic? Anything else?

Thanks!

If you were just creating pieces to cut the shapes for a bag or something like that I think Formica would work nicely.

Don't know if you have a dollar store around you anywhere but I recently found a bunch of flexible plastic placemats that are excellent for patterns, flexible and strong enough to last for decades

Peace

Bryan

Well, got myself some plastic folders which come down to about 40p per an A4 side. The plastic is good and they are of different colours, so its easier to find the required pattern.

Thanks all!

Well, got myself some plastic folders which come down to about 40p per an A4 side. The plastic is good and they are of different colours, so its easier to find the required pattern.

Thanks all!

Hi Chavez. I just had a friend me acrylic in all kinds of sizes. I haven't actually made a pattern yet to cut though (well only got it yesterday). I'm going to try some grave rubbing techniques with rice paper and India ink on parts of an old saddle I have along with a Victorian embossed leather chair seat. He also sent me an exacto knife to cut out the patterns after I trace them onto the acrylic. I am the world's worst at cutting things, so will post a picture after I run through the house with scissors AND an exacto kniferolleyes.gif

Hi Chavez. I just had a friend me acrylic in all kinds of sizes. I haven't actually made a pattern yet to cut though (well only got it yesterday). I'm going to try some grave rubbing techniques with rice paper and India ink on parts of an old saddle I have along with a Victorian embossed leather chair seat. He also sent me an exacto knife to cut out the patterns after I trace them onto the acrylic. I am the world's worst at cutting things, so will post a picture after I run through the house with scissors AND an exacto kniferolleyes.gif

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot. Get a sheet of white heavy-duty flexible shower liner. Should be about $15 for a 4x8 sheet. It's about 1/16 inch thick. Easy to trace around. Flexible enough to store in a roll. You can cut it with a utility knife or bandsaw, or shapr it with a belt sander or drum sander n a drill press.

Works really well. Lasts forever. And you can write on it with a permanent sharpie.

tk

I use vinyl flooring. Tough as old boots and cut and handles much like leather so you can also use it to make prototypes without spoiling good leather.

Ray

Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot. Get a sheet of white heavy-duty flexible shower liner. Should be about $15 for a 4x8 sheet. It's about 1/16 inch thick. Easy to trace around. Flexible enough to store in a roll. You can cut it with a utility knife or bandsaw, or shapr it with a belt sander or drum sander n a drill press.

Works really well. Lasts forever. And you can write on it with a permanent sharpie.

tk

great idea, especially since I have so much trouble cutting. I still haven't used the acrylic, doing freehand at this point STILL LOL.

Thanks, Cheryl

I use vinyl flooring. Tough as old boots and cut and handles much like leather so you can also use it to make prototypes without spoiling good leather.

Ray

Now there's one way to get the landlord to replace the flooring, it I pull up this junk vinyl floor and make templates, LOLOL

Xray film is great for patterns you want to reuse...it is very strong and easy to cut.

I've been using the thin cardboard of cereal boxes, for small enough pieces. (Hey, it's free, after I eat the cereal.) Plastic would certainly be more durable though.

At my local WalMart I have found the plastic for making your own stencils to paint on you wall will go through my printer I use if for templates and patters. Works great it is carried in their craft section. Here is a link to a pre-cut one but they have blank ones also http://www.walmart.com/ip/Plaid-Craft-Stencils-Home-Decor-7-x-10/17300174

Thanks!

i've started doing my design on the computer (Adobe Illustrator - because i have it!) then printing onto A4 sticker sheets, which i then stick down onto thin Styrene sheets bought from a model/hobby supplier.

These are great because i can cut it easily to shape for cutting around , and i can imprint points by pressing into the plastic with a sharp stylus, so with my leather cased i can rub the sheet onto the leather (like a craftaid) and then use the dots as cutting guides (and they are also great for marking stitch holes)

One of my personal preferences for pattern work is manila folders...they're a nice mix of stiffness and flexibility that allows me to essentially prototype a piece with the folders by making rough cuts, using tape for the seams, making fine-tuning cuts, then simply removing the tape and unfolding for the pattern.

My laser-cutter-owning friend and I do this for both my leather and his acrylic, testing patterns on the outrageously cheap folders before attempting them on the more expensive mediums. In fact, we now refer to them as "prototyping sheets," simply because both of us felt like using a laser cutter on manila folders sounded like overkill... :evillaugh:

use pattern paper of 250/440 gm , it is best for making any kind of pattern

In keeping with the idea of recycling I have used cardboard boxes from cereal and other things like Cheese-Its. The cardboard is fairly heavy and is free since we ate what was in the box. Have even used Coke or other drink cartons for smaller things. If I don't have any of those handy I have bought poster board.

For initial patterns I have used brown shopping bags (a relic these days).

Hi again!

Funnily enough... I've downgraded to using wing dividers and a ruler!!!

Cutting patterns accurately was a pain and then after the pattern was transferred to leather lines were getting distorted, etc. Too much work for poor results...

Chavez.

As mentioned before by Leatheroo, X-ray film is a great medium for designing and saving patterns. It is strong, yet flexible and easy to cut. Since it's thick plastic it lasts virtually forever. About half of each sheet is transparent which facilitates tracing. Hospital X-ray departments throw away many sheets every day during start-up and calibration of the machines. If you have a friend in the medical field they can make inquiries, If not, a few kind words to an xray technician will enlist him/her to your cause. (you might even make a key fob in exchange and have a friend for life).

Local feed stores are a great place to pick up free sheets of heavy cardboard from. They get them from orders of sacked items that come in on pallets, the cardboard is used to cover the wood so that the sacks don't get ripped. Large sheets, heavy, last for ever and free.

Bobby